Bleacher Nation is on Facebook, and you should totally "Like" us:

Bleacher Nation is also on Twitter, and you should totally follow us:

Upcoming Calendar Events

There are no forthcoming calendar events

Today's birthdays

Photo

Another Demarmolizing loss, and why we shouldn't give up on 2012.....yet.

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Oswego Chris

Oswego Chris

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 605 posts
  • Twitter:oswegochris23
  • LocationOswego, Illinois

Posted 12 May 2012 - 07:51 AM

"Every Season is sacred"...This was one of the many things that I loved that Theo said upon his arrival. While none of the Theotles have come right out and called this season a "rebuild", the overall general feeling has been that the Cubs are punting 2012. I think that is a mistake. This team is light years better than the last couple of years, not necessarily in talent, but in it's hustle and in it's ability(I hate this cliche, but I am going to use it anyway) to "Play the Game the Right Way".

I am not advocating giving up the long range goals, but just consider that the Giants won a World Series a couple of years ago with a lineup as crappy as ours, but loads of pitching. I have no illusions that the Cubs are that good, but we shouldn't give up for at least another month. Consider:

1. If Samard(former ND WR) keeps it up, we have three legit starters. Right now the Cubs are 8th in the league in quality starts. They have enough starting pitching to contend.

2. LaHair is for real. Ride this out.

3. Castro can really hit...in case you didn't notice.

Another decent bat, and if we get the bullpen in order, this team could be fun to watch.

#2 MichiganGoat

MichiganGoat

Give me a BEER

• Moderators
  • 3,799 posts
  • Twitter:MichiganGoat
  • Facebook:michigangoat
  • LocationGrand Rapids, MI

Posted 12 May 2012 - 07:21 PM

"If we get this bullpen in order" - that a mighty big IF

MichiganGoat on Twitter

"There are a lot of guys who are respected but not liked" - Ron Santo

#3 Oswego Chris

Oswego Chris

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 605 posts
  • Twitter:oswegochris23
  • LocationOswego, Illinois

Posted 12 May 2012 - 09:28 PM

yeah....screw it....I was overly positive when I wrote that....

#4 Brett

Brett

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,640 posts
  • Twitter:BleacherNation
  • Facebook:BleacherNation

Posted 13 May 2012 - 08:12 AM

Haha.

#5 Ben in Nebraska

Ben in Nebraska

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts
  • Twitter:@TheRealBenBrush
  • LocationOutside Omaha, NE

Posted 14 May 2012 - 07:27 AM

Overly positive, perhaps. However I think it's valid to point out that, minus Volstad the rotation has been really solid. The guys at the top of the order themselves, coupled with said rotation are keeping the Cubs in virtually every game they play. When you only have half a lineup that can hit and no bullpen and you're still competitive... the glass can only be half full, right?

#6 Cubbie Blues

Cubbie Blues

The Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,369 posts
  • Twitter:@timhall76
  • LocationBloomington, IN

Posted 14 May 2012 - 07:59 AM

Overly positive, perhaps. However I think it's valid to point out that, minus Volstad the rotation has been really solid. The guys at the top of the order themselves, coupled with said rotation are keeping the Cubs in virtually every game they play. When you only have half a lineup that can hit and no bullpen and you're still competitive... the glass can only be half full, right?

The glass isn't half full. It is just too big.

"It's not the dress that makes you look fat, it's the fat that makes you look fat." - Al Bundy

"Ow" - Dylan Bundy

#7 Ben in Nebraska

Ben in Nebraska

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts
  • Twitter:@TheRealBenBrush
  • LocationOutside Omaha, NE

Posted 14 May 2012 - 08:57 AM

I'm not advocating that they'll contend this year. I do think though that if we could get any of the Soriano, Stewart, Soto combination to do, well... anything offensively we could continue this trend of playing better baseball that the team has shown. The biggest problem outside of the bullpen is that after LaHair, we're LaScrewed because you may as well have Matt Garza up there for 5 straight AB's the way those guys have been hitting.
Now, the bullpen is bad, there's no doubt about that. But, the fact that every time they trot out on the mound, they have almost zero margin for error can't be helping.

#8 FFP

FFP

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 406 posts
  • LocationWorcester County, Massachusetts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 09:24 AM

I am not a big stats guy (I read 'em better every day, I mean I can't yet crank them out). But I am feeling three important numbers may be key to understanding what is right with this team.
1) total runs scored vs. total runs scored against...aren't we doing OK in this category. We are in so many games and could win more of the close ones going forward.
2) Volstad out of the stretch vs. Volstad in the wind-up...Isn't the big boy actually doing better in the wind-up? If he is, maybe there is just too much Monster from toe to release point to reorganize for two deliveries? Screw it, Monster. Just wind-up every time; if someone reaches, give away second and take away the batter you're facing; no more one-big-inning against you.
(Edit: I just looked this up. Someone tell me if I'm doing this wrong. Volstad in 2012 with the bases empty: 2.67 SO/BB and .247 BA against. Volstad in 2012 with runners on 1.11 SO/BB and .345 BA against.)
3) LaHair and Castro at the plate. That is two of the top 10 hitters in the league. That is a lot.

Edited by FromFenwayPahk, 14 May 2012 - 09:42 AM.

#9 Mike Taylor (no relation)

Mike Taylor (no relation)

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 384 posts
  • LocationLouisville, KY

Posted 18 May 2012 - 07:45 AM

Once Clevenger returns, Soto should be traded to the Nats IMHO. Although he may not have as much power as Soto, he can hit and drive in runs. We'll have more offensive production after June 2nd when Rizzo comes up.

CF DeJesus
SS Castro
RF LaHair
1B Rizzo
C Clevenger
3B Stewart
LF Soriano
2B Barney

#10 fromthemitten

fromthemitten

sleeps in too late to answer the calendar trivia

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts
  • Twitter:fromthemitten
  • Locationin a van down by the river

Posted 18 May 2012 - 07:53 AM

Volstad's FIP has been pretty good (just under 4.00) but his high walk and strikeout rates are not gonna cut it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).