3 replies to this topic

#1 Cubs Dude

Cubs Dude

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 07:56 AM

It seems most think that LaHair's value in a trade is minimal at best. But I was wondering why it is perceived that Garza would have way more trade value than LaHair? I get that Garza has a much stronger track record and has proven over years that he is a solid mlb starter.
But Garza is only one year younger than LaHair, and is WAY more expensive. He only has one year of team control left. And by all accounts he is wanting a huge extension with a NTC. So he may be only a rental for a team. LaHair will be under control for a long time, and I believe could be a very good first baseman for years to come. Do all other teams dismiss him because is 29 and developed late? I love LaHair and what he has brought to the team. But would love to get some good prospects for him.
Honestly, I don't see him as an everyday left fielder. In my opinion most people overvalue Garza's trade value and under value LaHairs.

#2 rcleven

rcleven

Bleacher Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,069 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 04:17 PM

Good pitching is more in demand than a power hitting first baseman. Much like a quater back is to a football team.

#3 terencemann

terencemann

I'm New

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 04:56 PM

LaHair's value is actually quite low due to the fact that his peripherial numbers don't go with his slash line. If he's BABIP wasn't astronomically high (and it is dropping) then we could get a better fix on his true value.No team is going to give the Cubs a lot for LaHair until he's had two seasons of production at his present clip and, even then, he'll be 31-32 years old at that point which will weigh down his value. He's an enigma and far more valuable to the Cubs than to other teams at this point.

I kind of feel similarly about Garza. If the Cubs can pull off a team-friendly extension with a player who, prior to last season, was thought to be a product of the Tampa stadium then he's a great piece to carry forward into the future. So far we haven't seen any team offer the Cubs elite prospects for Garza and I think they should wait and see what it'll take to extend him.

#4 JCubs79

JCubs79

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 103 posts
  • Twitter:clarkj79
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 13 May 2012 - 05:24 PM

It seems most think that LaHair's value in a trade is minimal at best. But I was wondering why it is perceived that Garza would have way more trade value than LaHair? I get that Garza has a much stronger track record and has proven over years that he is a solid mlb starter.
But Garza is only one year younger than LaHair, and is WAY more expensive. He only has one year of team control left. And by all accounts he is wanting a huge extension with a NTC. So he may be only a rental for a team. LaHair will be under control for a long time, and I believe could be a very good first baseman for years to come. Do all other teams dismiss him because is 29 and developed late? I love LaHair and what he has brought to the team. But would love to get some good prospects for him.
Honestly, I don't see him as an everyday left fielder. In my opinion most people overvalue Garza's trade value and under value LaHairs.

Garza is a TOR caliber pitcher which has much more value and greater demand. Makes him have much greater value. He is also a proven commodity while LaHair is still making his first trip through the league. Don't get me wrong, I love LaHair but Garza has much more value to a majority of contenders then LaHair would.

That being said it looks like Garza will be getting an extension which I love. I also think LaHair gets moved to LF barring someone completely overpaying for him.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).