osubigd

I'm New

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Twitter:chisportsnut83
  • LocationColumbus, OH

Posted 14 May 2012 - 10:19 AM

I know it's early, really early..but is Sveum the coach of the future or the coach for 'right now' until Theo/Jed's rebuilding process begins to show? What kind of leash do we see him on? Is he really a Theo guy? I'm not in Chicago, so I don't get to see/hear much about him. How is he received by the public so far?

#2 Ben in Nebraska

Ben in Nebraska

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts
  • Twitter:@TheRealBenBrush
  • LocationOutside Omaha, NE

Posted 14 May 2012 - 12:29 PM

Given that this year's team has been much better defensively, with the exception of Soriano, runs the bases extremely effectively, they take a lot of pitches... I give Sveum a pretty high grade. Save for a few bullpen blowups, we're a close to .500 team with only four hitters, four starters and maybe 2 guys who don't completely scare the crap out of you when they come in from the bullpen, it's hard to really pin much on the manager.

#3 MaxM1908

MaxM1908

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 207 posts
  • Twitter:legalcubbieblue

Posted 14 May 2012 - 01:09 PM

Although the record may not show it yet, I think this team is playing A LOT better than last year. I think that's at least partly attributable to the influence of Sveum. If he can create a winning culture to which winning pieces can be added, then I think Hoyerstein will have difficulty in replacing him. A lot remains to be seen, but if he can keep up the level of play, I would trust him with a rebuilt team in years to come.

#4 Fishin Phil

Fishin Phil

Wally Pipp of Cubs Calendar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,034 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 01:14 PM

Another consideration: By the time they have winning pieces in place, Sveum will have that much more managerial experience. I think they will grow together.
Please don't feed the psychos.

#5 fromthemitten

fromthemitten

sleeps in too late to answer the calendar trivia

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts
  • Twitter:fromthemitten
  • Locationin a van down by the river

Posted 14 May 2012 - 01:55 PM

This team sucks let him grow with the young uns and see how he and they are doing when his contract's up. The only reason to terminate the contract is if there was a player mutiny. They could get Joe Torre out of retirement and the bullpen still couldn't hold a lead. What these young players need is continuity, not a new manager every year.

#6 Spencer

Spencer

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,560 posts
  • LocationValparaiso, IN

Posted 14 May 2012 - 02:13 PM

Given what has been cobbled together this season, I would say Sveum has done okay. I'm not bonkers about his management of the pitchers, but i think he'll stick around for a while.

#7 rcleven

rcleven

Bleacher Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,069 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 04:28 PM

For what Theo has given him to work with he's done a pretty decent job. You can see from his pictures he has all ready torn out his hair. Like that he has brought the manager position into 21st century with sprays to poisition infielders. Has a little too much loyalty to his players.
Good CEO's surrond themselves with good people.

#8 MichiganGoat

MichiganGoat

Give me a BEER

• Moderators
  • 3,798 posts
  • Twitter:MichiganGoat
  • Facebook:michigangoat
  • LocationGrand Rapids, MI

Posted 14 May 2012 - 06:18 PM

I'd say he's exceeded expectations, he'll be around next year and that will be the real test

MichiganGoat on Twitter

"There are a lot of guys who are respected but not liked" - Ron Santo

#9 Mike Taylor (no relation)

Mike Taylor (no relation)

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 384 posts
  • LocationLouisville, KY

Posted 14 May 2012 - 09:38 PM

I think Theo & Co™ have been helping him out with all of the active personnel moves. Last year, I think there were only a few call ups due to injury and that's it. Doug Davis had 7 horrible starts and that was 7 too many.

Volstad gets one more start to prove himself and then he goes to the pen (or send him down and he probably clears waivers).

Rizzo coming up in June should help boost our offense that much more. I think we will trade Baker, DeWitt, Marmol or Soto soon. This lineup is going to be VERY left handed.

RF DeJesus
CF Campana
SS Castro
LF LaHair
1B Rizzo
3B Stewart
C Soto
2B Barney

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).