16 replies to this topic

#1 BubblesHargrave

BubblesHargrave

I'm New

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 10:29 PM

I've been on this site for a while now and really love it. I just wanted to share the story of how I became a Cubs fan because I feel like it's a uniqque story and you may find it slightly unbelievable and I wonder if anyone out there has ever experienced what I'm about to relate to you.

It wasn't that long ago that I would've been on the other side of tonight's game. Yes, I grew up a Cardinals fan. I really got interested in baseball when I was 11 or 12, my earliest baseball memories are of rooting for players like Greg Jeffries, Mark Whitten, Bob Tewksberry, and Tom Pagnozzi. My Cardinals fanship continued into my twenties. Watching the Cardinals win several playoff series and almost make it into the WS several times in the early 2000's was very exciting. Attending a playoff game against the Braves in the 2000 Division Series and seeing Rick Ankiel implode was a crazy experience. I continued to follow and root for the Cardinals through their Championship Season of 2006. I felt enthralled seeing the Redbirds win their first WS during my time as a fan. (I know this must be hard for some of you to listen to but please read on.) Even, so after that series win I felt an emptiness that I couldn't explain. Almst like, "ok they win the World Series, so now what?" But there was and is nothing else. Just another year to see if they could do the same thing. So that next year, while mowing, (I mow lawns for a living) I started listening to Cubs games. I had never hated the Cubs like other Cards fans and even heavily cheered and rooted for them during the 2003 playoffs and felt deeply the dissapointment of their losing to the Marlins.

As I listened to the games I developed a love for Ron Santo and Pat Hughes. I found their broadcasts not only hilarious, but far superior to the somewhat mechanical way that Mike Shannon announced games. I bought "this old cub" and became a real Santo fan. As I listened to Santo I realized the passion he displayed for his team was far superior than anything I'd ever witnessed even as a redbird fan. This passion and love for his team was very contagious to me, and I started to feel that way for a team that I had grown up being told I should hate. It was around that time that I denounced my standing as a Cardinals fan. I slowly told my parents and friends and they acted like I had betrayed them. I was told that my grandfather would roll over in his grave if he knew it. I didn't let anything they said discourage me. I still don't. I feel like all the Cardinal wins after that one world series victory could never equal how I'll feel when the one most important win takes place. That ever-longed for day when all Cubs fans can finally rejoice and enjoy the fruitage of their patience. Can a former Cardinals fan really now be a Cubs fan? Is it even allowed? I don't know and I don't really care because I know that's what I am.. Win or lose I'm loving every second of it. I don't know how to describe it, but there's nothing else like it.

Thanks Ronnie,

Matt

#2 TWC

TWC

Hippie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,052 posts
  • Twitter:@thomaswconroy
  • LocationHMB, CA

Posted 14 May 2012 - 11:39 PM

Hey, Bubbs, you're all right. Glad you're on our side now. I hope that growing up a mullet-sporting, meth-cooking, sister-fucking, shitty-beer-swilling, jerkoff Cardinals fan hasn't scarred you too much.

I'll readily admit that it was Pat & Ron who brought me out of my Cubs "dark days" (2000-2002), when my attention had wandered away from the Cubs for a while. I'm happy to hear there's someone else for whom Pat & Ron shone the light.

#3 Spencer

Spencer

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,560 posts
  • LocationValparaiso, IN

Posted 15 May 2012 - 12:04 AM

This is cool. Thanks for sharing that.

#4 Fishin Phil

Fishin Phil

Wally Pipp of Cubs Calendar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,034 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 04:21 AM

Welcome to the right side. We don't have Voodoo Magic, but we do have fun.
Please don't feed the psychos.

#5 CubFanBob

CubFanBob

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 10:00 AM

Great story...I grew up in Springfield. Il which is about 60-70% red bird fans rest cubs with a sprinkle of white sox. I remember being on the playground around first grade or so wearing a Cardinal cap. Cant remember how long I was a Cardinal fan but something changed as the years went on. I really didnt pay much attention to baseball till 1984 in eighth grade when the magic of baseball took me over and even more so my new heroes on the North side.

I sill remember watching the Cub's playoff game during school in 84' when Sister Mary Eagen brought a TV in for us to watch the game. There was so much hope and energy that year. It was an awakening of how beautiful and transcending this game can be.

No idea why I didnt stick with the red birds. Dharma maybe but it was one of the best choices I've ever made.

#6 Sweet James Jones

Sweet James Jones

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 105 posts
  • Twitter:SweetJJ1s
  • Facebook:Clay Dodson
  • LocationCookeville, Tennessee

Posted 15 May 2012 - 10:26 AM

Welcome to hell brother.

Ha.

Well done. Glad to have you.
Betternews is a Bitterbitch

#7 Cyranojoe

Cyranojoe

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 06:15 PM

Awe-inspiring story! Me, I grew up in Bloomington-Normal, and my sister swears I started out as a Cardinals fan, but she's a goddamn liar -- I've been true Cubbie blue for as long as I can remember, and there's no evidence to the contrary. ;)

#8 BubblesHargrave

BubblesHargrave

I'm New

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 10:27 PM

thanks for all the nice comments guys, it means a lot. I have to say there's only one thing I'd change about the Cubs other than that World Series thingy. They need new uniforms. The gray pants and blue shirt gotta go. How about an all blue uni? Now that would be Cubbie blue!

#9 TWC

TWC

Hippie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,052 posts
  • LocationHMB, CA

Posted 15 May 2012 - 10:49 PM

thanks for all the nice comments guys, it means a lot. I have to say there's only one thing I'd change about the Cubs other than that World Series thingy. They need new uniforms. The gray pants and blue shirt gotta go. How about an all blue uni? Now that would be Cubbie blue!

Man, one step forward, and one GIANT step back.

Plus, those are only the alternate road jerseys. Not like it was in the 80's.

#10 BubblesHargrave

BubblesHargrave

I'm New

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 11:16 PM

One giant step back? I've heard a lot of other Cubs fans say they wished the team would update their uniforms. I like the older uniforms myself.

#11 BubblesHargrave

BubblesHargrave

I'm New

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 11:17 PM

Just an opinion on clothing dude.

#12 TWC

TWC

Hippie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,052 posts
  • LocationHMB, CA

Posted 16 May 2012 - 08:54 AM

Just an opinion on clothing dude.

It was just a joke. Dude.

But my point earlier about the blue top and gray pants remains. Those are the 'alternate' road uniforms, and are only used at perhaps 1/4 of the away games now, where they were the only option during the 80's.

#13 TWC

TWC

Hippie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,052 posts
  • LocationHMB, CA

Posted 16 May 2012 - 09:01 AM

I've always liked this site:

http://exhibits.base...crement=9&pos=1

I'd love to see the team sport this set of unis at an upcoming 'turn-back-the-clock' night:
Posted Image(1912-1913)

Or these:
Posted Image(1942)

#14 Fishin Phil

Fishin Phil

Wally Pipp of Cubs Calendar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,034 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 09:04 AM

I like the '42 uniforms.
Please don't feed the psychos.

#15 BlueHorizons

BlueHorizons

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 360 posts
  • LocationMishawaka, Indiana

Posted 16 May 2012 - 10:31 AM

I like the '42 uniforms.

Another vote for the '42 style... that uni just says "baseball" to me!

I'm a fan of the knee-length pants. I wish more players chose to go with that look these days! When I helped coach my son's little league games, I encouraged the players to go with the knee-lengths, but was only about 50% successful. Oh well. I guess I'm just old school when it comes to the uniforms.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).