#1 Bails17

Bails17

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • LocationMiddlebury, IN

Posted 15 May 2012 - 07:58 AM

After watching the last week or so of games, I have come to a few early conclusions about a number of our players.

LaHair - He is the real deal and should have a fine career in the bigs.
Stewart - Looks like he is done. If he doesn't change his swing/approach he will become very replaceable.
Dolis - If he stays healthy...he should stick in the bigs with that sinker. If he can develop another pitch..lights out.
And so on and so forth.

This brings me to my disappointment in Starlin Castro and the hope of just what type of player he could become. I see way too many ARam tendencies in his game/approach/attitude to get too overjoyed that he is one of the pieces Theo and Co. will be building the team around.

On the other hand...you have Darwin Barney. He really shouldn't be on a big league club if went my talent/tools alone. However, he plays like a race car stuck in high gear. All heart...all hustle...leaves everything on the field. That is what got him to Chicago.

There are very few players in recent history that combine rare talent with undying passion. For me...that guy is Derek Jeter. So Starlin...please, please start taking notes on what you see in Jeter. If you don't like him, then at least consider trying to play a bit more like Darwin Barney. Because if you did, we might really see something special!

#2 hardtop

hardtop

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 128 posts
  • LocationThe Queen City of the Plains

Posted 15 May 2012 - 08:21 AM

jeter couldnt hold either of their jock-straps.

#3 Bails17

Bails17

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • LocationMiddlebury, IN

Posted 15 May 2012 - 08:24 AM

And thus you display your clueless-ness Hardtop.

#4 King Jeff

King Jeff

King of all Cubs fans!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,475 posts
  • Twitter:@peaceknuckle
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 15 May 2012 - 09:10 AM

"Stewart - Looks like he is done. If he doesn't change his swing/approach he will become very replaceable."
I've been watching Stewart all season and he is far from done. He is hitting the ball hard a lot and has a pretty low BABIP. I think he's replaceable, but by who? His defense and his patience at the plate make him a decent stopgap at third, definitely better than giving up prospects to get a replacement.

#5 Bails17

Bails17

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • LocationMiddlebury, IN

Posted 15 May 2012 - 09:26 AM

Ok...let me explain. I like the guy and I am certainly pulling for him. However, he looks a lot like the Soriano of last year from the left side (I would say this year too, but Sorry has showed little to zero power). He is a good mistake hitter at best. Hasn't showed that he can hit anything away and will chase pretty much any breaking ball down, out of the zone middle-in. He has a 203/282/364 line right now. That's not gonna work. I think we need to see 260/320/500 at a minimum.

If we want to make a run at this (the playoffs) for next year....he will need to up his game or get replaced. I don't know how we replace him. Hell...how about a free agent? Or someone from within? I don't know that answer...but we can't go into 2013 trying to win with numbers like that from 3B.

#6 TWC

TWC

Hippie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,052 posts
  • Twitter:@thomaswconroy
  • LocationHMB, CA

Posted 15 May 2012 - 09:32 AM

I dunno, Bails, Stewart's hit an awful lot of balls really hard, but they've fallen, usually, right into a defender's glove, and he's striking out at a rate much lower than his career average. I think he's certainly replaceable, but it's probably not worth doing until the off season.

#7 Bails17

Bails17

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • LocationMiddlebury, IN

Posted 15 May 2012 - 09:40 AM

I dunno, Bails, Stewart's hit an awful lot of balls really hard, but they've fallen, usually, right into a defender's glove, and he's striking out at a rate much lower than his career average. I think he's certainly replaceable, but it's probably not worth doing until the off season.

I totally agree TWC...in the off-season is when you make that final decision. Hell, I want him to succeed! It sure would make things easier for the front office come October-December. I just see a LOT of holes in that swing.

#8 SirCub

SirCub

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 908 posts
  • LocationCarrboro, NC

Posted 15 May 2012 - 11:06 AM

He has a 203/282/364 line right now. That's not gonna work. I think we need to see 260/320/500 at a minimum.

A Slg of .500 is a minimum? That's pretty steep.

#9 Drew

Drew

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 129 posts
  • Twitter:@Drew7
  • LocationUrbana, IL

Posted 15 May 2012 - 11:19 AM

He has a 203/282/364 line right now. That's not gonna work. I think we need to see 260/320/500 at a minimum.

Yeah...I'd be very pleases w an OPS over. 800 from Stewart

#10 Bails17

Bails17

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • LocationMiddlebury, IN

Posted 15 May 2012 - 11:23 AM

That sure is pretty steep. How about .450. I guess that is what I should have said.

#11 hardtop

hardtop

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 128 posts
  • LocationThe Queen City of the Plains

Posted 15 May 2012 - 11:43 AM

give me a break man, i was kidding.
The truth is, Jeter is overrated defensively. his hustle and ability to throw with modest accuracy from contorted positions has made up for his lack of range. Starlin has more natural ability in glove hand than Jeter has in his whole body, but obviously lacks Jeter's drive: which was your point and I agree with you. That's not to say Jeter isnt talented, he definately has some skills. Bad players dont have HoF careers just becasue they are motivated. But I believe Castro has enough talent to eclipse him. I doubt we'll see that happen, unfortunately.

#12 Bails17

Bails17

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • LocationMiddlebury, IN

Posted 15 May 2012 - 12:27 PM

The truth is, Jeter is overrated defensively. his hustle and ability to throw with modest accuracy from contorted positions has made up for his lack of range. Starlin has more natural ability in glove hand than Jeter has in his whole body, but obviously lacks Jeter's drive: which was your point and I agree with you. That's not to say Jeter isnt talented, he definately has some skills. Bad players dont have HoF careers just becasue they are motivated. But I believe Castro has enough talent to eclipse him. I doubt we'll see that happen, unfortunately.

LOL...Then state what you mean first instead of some comment that really doesn't make any sense. And to say he can't hold Barney's jock is...well a joke...so I guess you were kidding. One....Jeter was the 6th overall pick in 1992. From a tools perspective, he certainly exceeded almost all of the other eligible players that year. If you compare the Jeter of 1995-1997 to what we are seeing right now from Castro, it is very similar. I wouldn't go as far to say that Starlin has that much more ability than DJ. DJ had a better arm and ran better than SC. Castro is more dynamic/athletic in his actions defensively. Other than those differences, they are real close. I can only hope that SC has the same type of career that Jeter has had. Sadly...as you have stated, he is not showing "super star" type character right now. And that is so undervalued when evaluating young talent by today's standards.

#13 fromthemitten

fromthemitten

sleeps in too late to answer the calendar trivia

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts
  • Twitter:fromthemitten
  • Locationin a van down by the river

Posted 15 May 2012 - 05:01 PM

with Vitters gettin on base at a .289 clip in AAA there's not many viable options in the minors. A pipe dream would be shipping Soto off to the Nats for Rendon but I doubt even Mike Rizzo is dumb enough to make that deal

#14 JCubs79

JCubs79

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 103 posts
  • Twitter:clarkj79
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 15 May 2012 - 05:25 PM

I disagree about Castro's passion. According to what I read in player interviews, reports from guys in the clubhouse, etc. He works really hard. Were starting to see some of that work pay off in his defense. I think we can all agree that his defense has improved from last season.

I still think he needs to learn situation hitting which I'm not concerned about and obviously continues to work on his defense but really Castro is the ideal player you want to build your team around IMO.

#15 fromthemitten

fromthemitten

sleeps in too late to answer the calendar trivia

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts
  • Twitter:fromthemitten
  • Locationin a van down by the river

Posted 15 May 2012 - 05:38 PM

In Castro's defense I was a shithead when I was 20 too

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).