Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 366 posts
  • Twitter:justinjabs
  • LocationMilwaukee

Posted 15 May 2012 - 07:51 PM

Hi Brett,

I was wondering if there was a way to pair up my forum profile and what is saved on the blog for me to comment on. I notice some blog commenters have photographs too but I can't figure out how to add one.

Thanks.

Posted Image

"With Reed we will succeed."
Twitter -- Blog

#2 Brett

Brett

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,639 posts
  • Twitter:BleacherNation
  • Facebook:BleacherNation

Posted 15 May 2012 - 08:04 PM

Right now, there isn't a way for them to be explicitly linked (I spent many, many, many hours working on that). But you can get the picture by going to gravatar.com, setting up an account, and using the same picture there that you use here. Just make sure you use the same email address that you use when you comment on the blog, and the picture will then show up.

#3 TWC

TWC

Hippie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,052 posts
  • Twitter:@thomaswconroy
  • LocationHMB, CA

Posted 15 May 2012 - 09:18 PM

Right now, there isn't a way for them to be explicitly linked (I spent many, many, many hours working on that).

… and it completely shut down the internets for 8 miserable hours last Summer.

#4 Brett

Brett

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,639 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 05:36 AM

Right now, there isn't a way for them to be explicitly linked (I spent many, many, many hours working on that).

Worst two days in the history of the site. Miserable.

#5 TWC

TWC

Hippie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,052 posts
  • LocationHMB, CA

Posted 16 May 2012 - 08:56 AM

Was it really that long? I had originally written '24 hours', but thought I'd give you the benefit of the doubt and changed it to 8. I'm sure it seemed like weeks to you at the time.

#6 Brett

Brett

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,639 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 09:37 AM

Was it really that long? I had originally written '24 hours', but thought I'd give you the benefit of the doubt and changed it to 8. I'm sure it seemed like weeks to you at the time.

The outage was kind of on and off - I think you've got it right that it was flat-out gone for about 8 hours the first day, but then it was slow, and on and off for the next day and a half while I (and DreamHost) sorted things out.

#7 hansman1982

hansman1982

King Regent of The Calendar Trivia Empire

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,939 posts
  • Twitter:JoeHansman
  • LocationDes Moines, IA

Posted 16 May 2012 - 11:31 AM

The outage was kind of on and off - I think you've got it right that it was flat-out gone for about 8 hours the first day, but then it was slow, and on and off for the next day and a half while I (and DreamHost) sorted things out.

That is because you didn't call Al Gore first. You HAVE to get permission from the Creator (think biblical sense) of the Internet Universe

#8 King Jeff

King Jeff

King of all Cubs fans!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,478 posts
  • Twitter:@peaceknuckle
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 16 May 2012 - 12:32 PM

I remember the initial outage, but I had no problems connecting after that. I do remember all of the weeping an gnashing of teeth. I believe I even got an apologetic e-mail from DreamHost after complaining to them about the outages.

#9 FFP

FFP

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 406 posts
  • LocationWorcester County, Massachusetts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 06:55 AM

"this way to the 'Great Egress'"
Has anyone noticed that very short posts on the main board won't load? Single word comments seem to be quietly ushered out some back door, like the fat girls at the frat party. Or maybe it is just me??

#10 Brett

Brett

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,639 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 08:30 AM

"this way to the 'Great Egress'"
Has anyone noticed that very short posts on the main board won't load? Single word comments seem to be quietly ushered out some back door, like the fat girls at the frat party. Or maybe it is just me??

It's possible they're being grabbed by the spam filter. I try to go through them from time to time to help "teach" the filter that some things aren't spam, but the site gets a CRAZY number of spam comments, so manually approving comments or turning off the spam filter aren't options. Unfortunately, it might be a necessary evil.

#11 TWC

TWC

Hippie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,052 posts
  • LocationHMB, CA

Posted 23 May 2012 - 08:39 AM

...but the site gets a CRAZY number of spam comments...

Really? The your filter is worth it's weight, as it's pretty rare for one to peek through. Unless it's the Aaron Miles thread. Then, all bets are off.

#12 FFP

FFP

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 406 posts
  • LocationWorcester County, Massachusetts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 12:47 PM

I hadn't even thought that you'd need such a filter. I think if I add a period to my pith it goes through (don't tell the spammers).
I am trying to learn more about WordPress (or LiveJournal, I guess?) as it looks like work will be requiring me to participate in something bloggy (MUCH smaller and un-baseball related) as more than a poster. I shudder to think what some of the behind the scene duties are.
I only see (and appreciate) your overt shepherding of the flock here (really interesting given that most of us are more like cats than sheep).

#13 MichiganGoat

MichiganGoat

Give me a BEER

• Moderators
  • 3,799 posts
  • Twitter:MichiganGoat
  • Facebook:michigangoat
  • LocationGrand Rapids, MI

Posted 28 May 2012 - 08:23 AM

Really? The your filter is worth it's weight, as it's pretty rare for one to peek through. Unless it's the Aaron Miles thread. Then, all bets are off.

Yeah its been quite impressive... now if we can just get a "Whinny Negative Bitch" Filter or "Why The Fuck Are You Talking Politics on a Baseball Blog" Filter the world would be in balance.

MichiganGoat on Twitter

"There are a lot of guys who are respected but not liked" - Ron Santo

#14 MichiganGoat

MichiganGoat

Give me a BEER

• Moderators
  • 3,799 posts
  • Twitter:MichiganGoat
  • Facebook:michigangoat
  • LocationGrand Rapids, MI

Posted 28 May 2012 - 08:25 AM

It's possible they're being grabbed by the spam filter. I try to go through them from time to time to help "teach" the filter that some things aren't spam

Damn it man that's how the machines become self aware and eventually determines that all humans are spam, quit teaching it.

MichiganGoat on Twitter

"There are a lot of guys who are respected but not liked" - Ron Santo

#15 Brett

Brett

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,639 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 07:29 PM

Yeah its been quite impressive... now if we can just get a "Whinny Negative Bitch" Filter or "Why The Fuck Are You Talking Politics on a Baseball Blog" Filter the world would be in balance.

We ARE the Whiny Negative Bitch filter.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).