Bleacher Nation is on Facebook, and you should totally "Like" us:

Bleacher Nation is also on Twitter, and you should totally follow us:

Upcoming Calendar Events

There are no forthcoming calendar events

Today's birthdays

No members are celebrating a birthday today

Photo

Who's your pick next month in the draft?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 broste21

broste21

I'm New

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • LocationCartersville,Ga ( Mayberry)

Posted 16 May 2012 - 12:22 PM

I have to say, I've been over all the mock drafts 1,000 times and based on what Ive read about the possibilities that should be there for the Cubs, if he is still there I'm going with Kyle Zimmer.
If he's not, I'm not too sold on any of the other arms, so I guess it's a toss up with no real stand out bats other than Buxton and Zunino, and they project to be off the board by the time it reaches us at #6.

#2 Brett

Brett

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,638 posts
  • Twitter:BleacherNation
  • Facebook:BleacherNation

Posted 17 May 2012 - 09:10 AM

I hope the Cubs land one of the three big college pitchers, but I can be persuaded to like just about any of the guys I see in the typical top 10.

#3 DaneHuseman

DaneHuseman

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Twitter:dhuseman

Posted 17 May 2012 - 09:12 AM

I think if Gausman or Zimmer are there at 6, you have to go with the college pitcher. If all of the college pitchers, along with Zunino and Buxton are gone, I think you go with high upside and that is probably Almora or Correa. However, if we were absolutely locked into taking a pitcher no matter what, I think Fried or Wacha would be good picks at 6.

BUT if Giolito throws before the draft and shows that he is healthy and still has the arm strength, I would love to steal him at 6. He was the consensus 1.1 in a lot of mock drafts before his injury and would be an awesome addition to our pitching staff.

With the supplemental picks, I think someone like Walker Weickel would be a good pick if he is still there. I saw him in the top 10 on some lists early in the season, but he has slipped a bit recently and could be a steal at 43.

#4 JCubs79

JCubs79

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 103 posts
  • Twitter:clarkj79
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 17 May 2012 - 12:14 PM

If Appel doesn't go #1 I think he makes it to #6 and we take him. Apparently outside of the Astros, Minnesota, Baltimore and KC all prefer Gausmann or Zimmer over him.

If Appel does go #1 I think that Almora will be the pick.

#5 Fearbobafett

Fearbobafett

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 08:05 AM

If the 3 arms are off the board i would prefer they not take Almora, we need another OFer in the system like we need a hole in the head. Would love to see them grab Giolito at that spot.

#6 fromthemitten

fromthemitten

sleeps in too late to answer the calendar trivia

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts
  • Twitter:fromthemitten
  • Locationin a van down by the river

Posted 18 May 2012 - 08:14 AM

If Richie Shaffer's still on the board I'd take him. He had a monster year at Clemson. If not I'd grab a polished pitcher who does't need much time in the minors. 2nd pick I'd pray that Nolan Fontana is still available and slide him over to 2B which seems to be a position of need organization-wide

#7 Cubfanbudman

Cubfanbudman

I'm New

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Twitter:@cubfanbudman79

Posted 20 May 2012 - 08:17 AM

I'd be happy with any of the college arms Zimmer, Gausman, or Appel but don't thInk they'll last. Zunino would be a good pick but again I don't think he'll be there. Correa is probably the best hitter available in the draft and Almora is a true CF. saying that I hope they go for either Giolito, Wacha, or Max Fried. It'll be a big draft with these new rules in place

#8 TrueblueCubbie

TrueblueCubbie

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
  • Twitter:@cubsfantroy

Posted 20 May 2012 - 09:37 AM

I agree with what Brett said. Pretty much any of the top 3 college starting pitchers. If not any of the players projected in the top 10 would be fine by me.

I really wish I paid more attention to the draft and mock drafts.

Posted Image

#9 broste21

broste21

I'm New

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 09:44 AM

I would LOVE to have Zimmer, but I bet hes gone with the 1st 3 picks. Damn Quade playinh the vets down the stretch trying to save his @$$ cost us...

#10 broste21

broste21

I'm New

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 11:01 AM

I would LOVE to have Zimmer, but I bet hes gone with the 1st 3 picks. Damn Quade playinh the vets down the stretch trying to save his @$$ cost us...

#11 fromthemitten

fromthemitten

sleeps in too late to answer the calendar trivia

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts
  • Twitter:fromthemitten
  • Locationin a van down by the river

Posted 24 May 2012 - 08:16 PM

I don't think that'll be a problem this year... even if the vets play we'll still be in the cellar

#12 Luke D

Luke D

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 12:31 PM

Yeah I think Jedstein must've found a superstar high schooler they really, really liked this year that we will only get with the #1 overall pick next year. And that's fine by me.

Kyle Zimmer will be ours. If not, Gausman and Zunino might also still be on the board.

We have two supplemental round picks and I hope one of them lands us outfielder Travis Jankowski. Very fast, a leadoff type with good contact skills and on-base tendencies.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).