#1 Spencer

Spencer

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,560 posts
  • LocationValparaiso, IN

Posted 16 May 2012 - 11:00 PM

For those that haven't heard, Ty, a regular commenter to BN, passed away. He was a great guy, and a true Cubs fan. He will be missed. Everyone please keep his family in your thoughts and prayers through this difficult time.

Ty's passing got me thinking about a lot of things; most predominately the power of sport, and its far reaching impact in everyone's life. There are a select few things that can bring people from all across the globe together to become part of a single entity, a single unit, a single family. Sport is one such thing. Devoted sports fans are often criticized for being too engrossed in their favorite team. People who aren't passionate about sports can scarcely understand how the mood of someone can dramatically change based on the crack of bat, the swish of a net, or a tiptoeing catch along the sideline. They can't fully appreciate the thrill of victory, or the agony of defeat.

But the fact remains that sport is one unifying force. People all over the world that you've never even met before are all rooting for the exact same thing that you are, and they are probably perched on the edge of their seat waiting for that next play to unfold, just like you. Not only do we have sports to bring us together, but we are also fortunate enough to share this website where we can laugh together, complain together, and, unfortunately, commiserate together.

I count myself extremely fortunate to belong to this seemingly endless network of Cubs fanatics like me. Even though everyone is just a name and an avatar on a computer screen, sports fans - and Cubs fans, in particular - are a family. The Cubs (and Bleacher Nation) brought everyone in this community together. And when someone leaves it, the impact of that loss is felt by all.

Rest In Peace, Ty.

#2 MichiganGoat

MichiganGoat

Give me a BEER

• Moderators
  • 3,799 posts
  • Twitter:MichiganGoat
  • Facebook:michigangoat
  • LocationGrand Rapids, MI

Posted 17 May 2012 - 05:58 AM

RIP Ty, my deepest thoughts and sympathy to the family. Our family is down one and will be missed.

MichiganGoat on Twitter

"There are a lot of guys who are respected but not liked" - Ron Santo

#3 Cubs Dude

Cubs Dude

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 07:20 AM

So sorry to hear about this loss. Ty, your posts will be missed. Hopefully where he's at now, the Cubs win the World Series every year. Rest in Peace Ty.

#4 Cubbie Blues

Cubbie Blues

The Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,369 posts
  • Twitter:@timhall76
  • LocationBloomington, IN

Posted 17 May 2012 - 08:10 AM

Ty, you will definitely be missed around here. Your spring training updates where something we could look forward to. We are thankful for the time that we were able to spend with you.

"It's not the dress that makes you look fat, it's the fat that makes you look fat." - Al Bundy

"Ow" - Dylan Bundy

#5 Fishin Phil

Fishin Phil

Wally Pipp of Cubs Calendar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,034 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 08:40 AM

Very well put Spencer. RIP Ty.
Please don't feed the psychos.

#6 Brett

Brett

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,639 posts
  • Twitter:BleacherNation
  • Facebook:BleacherNation

Posted 17 May 2012 - 09:09 AM

Much love to ty and his family. He will be missed.

And, though we should say these kinds of things more often: much love to all of you. Yeah, this place is my job, but it also makes me very happy to have a group like this to consider friends.

#7 butlerdawgs

butlerdawgs

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 171 posts
  • Twitter:mwerner1814

Posted 17 May 2012 - 09:18 AM

RIP Ty. My thoughts, condolences and prayers go out to him and his family. This one's for you, Ty.

#8 FFP

FFP

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 406 posts
  • LocationWorcester County, Massachusetts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 09:32 AM

I appreciated Ty's contributions here. It was thoughtful of his daughter, Christy, to inform us of his passing. This thread is appreciated, too, Spencer. Good idea.
Thanks, Ty. Rest in Peace.

#9 King Jeff

King Jeff

King of all Cubs fans!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,478 posts
  • Twitter:@peaceknuckle
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 17 May 2012 - 10:35 AM

Well said, Spencer. RIP Ty.

#10 Drew

Drew

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 129 posts
  • Twitter:@Drew7
  • LocationUrbana, IL

Posted 17 May 2012 - 11:12 AM

Ty brought us a unique insight to Cubs baseball, he will be sorely missed. It sounds like this group gave him a good deal of comfort during his illness, and Brett, along with the rest of us, should feel good about that

#11 Dave H

Dave H

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts
  • LocationLombard,IL

Posted 17 May 2012 - 11:19 AM

Rest in peace, Ty. You will be missed on these message boards. Very kind and true written words, Spencer.

"We won a game yesterday. If we win one today, that’s two in a row. We win one tomorrow, that’s called a winning streak. It HAS happened before." - Lou Brown

#12 JCubs79

JCubs79

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 103 posts
  • Twitter:clarkj79
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 17 May 2012 - 12:12 PM

RIP Ty. I enjoyed your updates from ST all the time and you will be missed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).