8 replies to this topic

#1 EQ76

EQ76

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 22 September 2011 - 03:54 PM

We've all talked (typed) until we're blue in the face about our options next year. (We need pitching but who's available? Get rid of ARam but replace him with who? etc)

One very possible option out there is that of the trade route. There are so many creative ways to pull off trades, 3-team deals, teams just wanting to unload players, bad contract swaps, rebuilding, etc.

We assume the next GM could come in, clean house and start wheelin' & dealin', and hopefully so.

Every off season some soon-to-be-free-agent gets dealt.. So, here are 20 notable names in the (potential) 2013 Free Agent class who could be available via trade this off season (in no particular order).

1. David Wright *
2. Mike Napoli
3. Andre Ethier
4. Josh Hamilton
5. Matt Kemp
6. Matt Cain
7. Carlos Quentin
8. Ichiro Suzuki
9. Shane Victorino
10. BJ Upton
11. Zach Greinke
12. Cole Hamels
13. Colby Lewis
14. Fransisco Liriano
15. Shawn Marcum
16. James Shields *
17. Joakim Soria *
18. Ian Kinsler *
19. Mark Reynolds *
20. Brain McCann *

Some of these guys I'd say "No way in hell get moved" but with others, who knows? Maybe one or several of these names become available this off season and maybe the Cubs find a way to get one of them.

#2 Dave

Dave

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 427 posts
  • LocationSpringfield, MO

Posted 22 September 2011 - 05:52 PM

I wouldn't hate it if the Cubs traded for David Wright. Assuming they dont give up the farm, that it.

#3 Alex

Alex

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 22 September 2011 - 07:58 PM

I wouldn't be opposed to Cole Hammels pitching in a Cubs uniform.

#4 Dave

Dave

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 427 posts
  • LocationSpringfield, MO

Posted 22 September 2011 - 08:21 PM

I doubt the Phillies would be open to trading him. Oswalt may be gone soon and Vance Worley gives me a bit of a J A Happ vibe, so they would be smart to keep Hamels with Lee and Halladay possibly eventually giving in to age.

#5 Alex

Alex

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 22 September 2011 - 09:56 PM

I doubt the Phillies would be open to trading him. Oswalt may be gone soon and Vance Worley gives me a bit of a J A Happ vibe, so they would be smart to keep Hamels with Lee and Halladay possibly eventually giving in to age.

I guess you're right. It would be nice though.

#6 T C

T C

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 418 posts
  • Twitter:@tommyecook
  • LocationThe University of Illinois

Posted 22 September 2011 - 09:58 PM

I would LOVE to see david wright in a cubs uniform. We'll give em vitters, lemahieu, and like clevenger and some scrub pitching prospect for wright.

of the other players on your list, I really dont see any of them other than Ichiro, Quentin, or Ethier being traded

#7 Brett

Brett

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,639 posts
  • Twitter:BleacherNation
  • Facebook:BleacherNation

Posted 23 September 2011 - 04:18 AM

Wright's health issues concern me. He's not "old" yet, but he'll be 29 next year, and has back problems. Not sure he's a great long-term answer, particularly given how much he'll cost (both in dollars and prospects).

#8 Fishin Phil

Fishin Phil

Wally Pipp of Cubs Calendar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,034 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 07:11 AM

Wright's health issues concern me. He's not "old" yet, but he'll be 29 next year, and has back problems. Not sure he's a great long-term answer, particularly given how much he'll cost (both in dollars and prospects).

Bad Back - see Reed Johnson. That's the type of injury that tends to flare up on a somewhat regular basis. Rarely gets better as you get older.
Please don't feed the psychos.

#9 EQ76

EQ76

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 07:29 AM

I could see Ethier going due to the Dodgers financial problems. I could also see Wright, Soria, Quentin and Liriano getting dealt. Not sure if the Cubs could go after any of them.. I will say I'd much rather have Soria closing games than Marmol and a healthy Wright would probably give us an upgrade over any other possibilities if ARam is gone. Liriano was available last off season but the Twins wanted way too much.

The interesting name here that I would give up a lot for is James Shields.. not sure if the Rays would trade him or not, but he could be the best pitcher on that list not named Matt Cain.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).