12 replies to this topic

#1 ced landrum

ced landrum

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 08:27 PM

First a little scouting on Raley. He throws a 89-91 MPH fastball. A 72-75 mph curve and then either a 82 MPH changeup or slider. I wasn't sitting behind the plate, so I couldn't make it out too well. He throws from the third base side of the rubber.

When he keeps the ball on a downward plan he is fine. If the ball is up he is very pedestrian and that is where he got in trouble. When he worked ahead he was very tough. He had 3 walks but a lot of the hits he gave up were from falling behind. Like I said down good, but he flattened out a pretty often and was squared up pretty well. He had a few unearned runs b/c of what was ruled as an error on Raley, but really Amezega just got handcuffed on a double play ball where Raley fired to him.

Other notes:

Rizzo was a killer today. He struck out in his last AB and was made to look pretty silly in that ab. tough lefty, but in his first 3 abs he was crushing the ball. The ball sounds different coming off his bat. He hit his homer to left center, but the rest of his ab's he was pulling the ball pretty hard. I understand the whole reason he is down, but he doesn't need to be developed anymore. For Jed to keep repeating that is almost insulting.

Jackson looked lost his first two ab's. He swung at the first 3 pitches he saw. In his next ab he took the first and swung at the next 2. In his third ab he looked like you would expect. He was patient and then squared up a pitch and had a very hard single. You can see why people like him in how he plays. Very athletic looking, nice speed.

Vitters. Just intrigues me. When you see him swing the bat you see why people like his swing. It is so quick and smooth. He is effortless. In the field he is the same it looks like he doesn't care out there, but I think it is just his smoothness. On one ab he pulled the ball and missed a hr by a few feet. On his other two hits he went the other way. He wasn't hyper aggressive either from what I remember. I understand the frustration with him as far as prospecting, but he has all the ability one needs to succeed.

One last observation, I like Dave Sappelt. He saves his good games for when I watch. You can tell watching him that he has just had a bad year. He is athletic, with a decent eye and has a good short swing. He had a hit and walk. He would be a good 4th/5th outfielder.

#2 rcleven

rcleven

Bleacher Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,069 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 10:42 PM

What did Vitters hands look like? Some say there like bricks.

#3 ced landrum

ced landrum

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 05:13 AM

Vitters isn't as rough as people say, but he isn't Stewart. He certainly needs to keep working on his defense.

#4 Brett

Brett

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,638 posts
  • Twitter:BleacherNation
  • Facebook:BleacherNation

Posted 24 May 2012 - 06:00 AM

Great stuff, Ced. Included this in the Minor League Daily today.

#5 FFP

FFP

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 405 posts
  • LocationWorcester County, Massachusetts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 06:39 AM

I understand the whole reason (Rizzo) is down, but he doesn't need to be developed anymore. For Jed to keep repeating that is almost insulting.

Almost. Given their shared, painful, recent MLB history and the crowd in their shared, bright, near MLB future, I'm still letting Jed's comments slide. I'd bet Rizzo is ,too. That's life in the big leagues.

But, your point is well taken. I appreciate your eyes-on report, Ced. Thanks.

#6 gratefulled

gratefulled

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 317 posts
  • LocationHome of the I-Cubs

Posted 24 May 2012 - 07:55 AM

Something else that might have gone unnoticed yesterday was a brief moment when Rizzo showed his maturity and leadership. Rowland-Smith had just been called for a balk on a pick off move to first base and Rizzo called time to head to the mound. Rizzo seemed to be coaching Rowland-Smith about what he may have done wrong, but also encouraged Rowland-Smith to take his time and relax. Obviously I wasn't on the mound to hear what was said, but my dad and I both thought that's what was said or implied.

#7 ced landrum

ced landrum

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 09:34 AM

You are right Gratefulled. Very good observation. Rizzo seemed to be a good leader. He is also a big kid, with a big frame.

I forgot to note this last night, but Rizzo didn't miss a pitch until his last ab. The first ab he took a strike, but fouled off 3 other pitches, one almost decapitated a guy. The next ab he hit one that was way foul but would have been gone if straightened out. The guy was seriously locked in.

#8 Crockett

Crockett

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 01:53 PM

Ced - Raley is one guy I just haven't seen yet. How does his windup look? Smooth? Across his body? He's one of those kids who could be pretty special with an extra 2-3 MPH on his FB it seems.

#9 ced landrum

ced landrum

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 07:53 AM

I

#10 ced landrum

ced landrum

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts

Really

#11 ced landrum

ced landrum

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts

Messed

#12 ced landrum

ced landrum

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 07:54 AM

Up sorry

#13 ced landrum

ced landrum

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 07:54 AM

He looks smooth. Right foot slightly in front of left. He doesn't have a big windup. He actually looks good out there. He can be a 4-5 if he learns to keep ball down. Nice pick off move

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).