Oswego Chris

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 605 posts
  • Twitter:oswegochris23
  • LocationOswego, Illinois

Posted 23 September 2011 - 09:30 AM

crype(adj, noun)- a once hyped Chicago Cubs prospect who turns out to be crap.

CHICAGO CUB CRYPE ROSTER

IF- TY GRIFFEN, GARY SCOTT
OF- EARL CUNNINGHAM, RYAN HARVEY, BROOKS KIESCHNICK
P- HERMAN SEGELKE, BEN CHRISTENSON

Today's addition to the team did end up playing in the majors(mostly as a fourth outfielder) for 12 seasons, so many might not consider that a "crap" career. However, since I invented the crype term, I will decide who is "crype". By my definition, if you get a baseball card that says "prospect" or "future star" on it, then you are hyped. (especially if you share one of said cards with Mark Grace)

OF-DARREN JACKSON (2nd RD 1981)

Yep. Before he became Hawk( an ornery cuss) Harrelson's whipping boy and later Ed( I am the greatest) Farmer's whipping boy, "DJ" was a hyped Cubs OF prospect. DJ seems like a nice guy, and I don't know how he has lasted in the Sox booth without telling either of those guys to go "f" themselves the way they have treated him over the years. In fact, did you ever notice how most guys affiliated with the Sox are pr#$ks? Huge inferiority complex I am guessing.
Back to DJ, he did overcome cancer, and did hit 21 homers in a season.(he did only have 49 RBIs with those 21 homers...which seems like it would be hard to do) So DJ, you had a nice little career, but here is why you are on the Crype team:

PLAYERS DRAFTED IN 1981 AFTER DJ:

PITCHERS- Frank Viola, Mark Langston, Mark Gubicza, Sid Fernandez, David Cone, John Franco
HITTERS- Tony Gwynn, Fred McGriff, Paul O'Neill, Lenny Dykstra, Devon White, Vince Coleman, Cecil Fielder
HALL OF FAME QBS- John Elway-drafted by the Yankees as a RF...I am guessing he had a cannon for an arm...

If you are familar at all with baseball from the mid 80's until the late 90's, that's a pretty, pretty good list of talent. So no offense DJ, because of the Chicago Cub's Jerry Angelo-like 1981 draft, welcome to the Crype team.

#2 Brett

Brett

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,637 posts
  • Twitter:BleacherNation
  • Facebook:BleacherNation

Posted 27 September 2011 - 07:37 AM

Yeah, I'm not sure I would have called Jackson "crype," but, as you say, it's your boat, and we're just along for the ride. And you're right: there were a ton of great players taken after him.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).