T C

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 418 posts
  • Twitter:@tommyecook
  • LocationThe University of Illinois

Posted 28 May 2012 - 08:41 PM

Hey everyone, sorry for missing last week's review, but a combination of sickness and starting an internship delayed it to the point where it was just too late to post.

At any rate, hope you all had a great memorial day, and that your team did better than mine last week (hahaha who am I kidding, of course your team had a better week than mine)

The week saw some, ah, extremely unexpected results, with The Cubs Way!! and the Patandrons turning in the top two point totals, and Luke's Six States putting up a shockingly low total for the way his team has been playing all year. This was, apparently, one of the first weeks Caleb has paid attention to the league, and having an actual lineup benefited him greatly. Always good to see a wayward manager come back and win a week. The Slumpbusters weren't the juggernaut they normally are. Oh, and Katie's team ran into another team's best week ever. That'll stop happening eventually, I presume, but its rare to see one team run into so many other teams getting so many multi-starts.

Its also officially after memorial day, which means standings are ok to look at! A quick glance shows only two division leaders are up by more than a game (Camp Campana and those indomitable Slumpbusters), so there is much hope left throughout the league, except for my team, which presently sits at 5 games back, the only such team in the league to be so out of contention...sigh...

This week also featured the much anticipated Clash of the Commisioners. In a very, very close battle, the Banhammers reigned supreme, and MG has bragging rights for ages.

And without further ado, here is the week in review as demanded by the masses

Best 3 Teams of the Week
  • The Cubs Way!!, 626
  • PatandRons, 606
  • 104 and Counting 605
Worst 3 Teams of the Week
  • Six States, 186
  • Bunt Competition Champs 2012, 191
  • Stinky Pete, 265
Best 3 Hitters of the Week
  • Melky Cabrera, 19ohwait, 108
  • Giancarlo Stanton, The Cubs Way!!, 107
  • Paul Konerko, The Infirmary, 105
Best 3 Pitchers of the Week
  • RA Dickey, Camp Campana, 109
  • Adam Wainwright, 23ryan, 103
  • Gio Gonzalez, 104 and Counting, 95
Worst 3 Pitchers of the Week
  • Brandon Morrow, Six States, -19
  • Rafael Dolis, PatandRons, -18 (yep)
  • Jamie Moyer, The Stalingrad Hammer, -16 (Hey, did you hear?!?! Jamie Moyer is now the oldest MLB player to ever rack up -16 points in a week in the BNFL for
Closest Matchup: Baseblog Bloggers (354) over The Exploding Meth Labs (353.5)

Biggest Blowout: The Cubs Way!! (626) over 19ohWait (355)
Strongest Loss: Tainted Glove (593)
Weakest Win: Stinky Pete (265)

(As an aside, and in honor of the week's top pitchers, feast your eyes upon the greatest pitching face ever http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/blog/big_league_stew/post/Face-it-Knuckleball-turns-Dickey-into-screaming?urn=mlb-334055 )

Power Rankings

Ok, folks, I lost the files I was doing these in, and to be entirely honest, they're a gigantic pain in the ass. Maybe they'll return in the future, I don't really know. In the meantime, just remember that it's the Slumpbusters and then everyone else in this league, and then me basically at the bottom.

#2 Stinky Pete

Stinky Pete

The Woodward AND Bernstein of the Message Board

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 625 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 09:16 PM

Haha. One of the three worst teams AND a W. Love it. I'm sure I'm due to get dicked in the dick here soon.

#3 Rick Vaughn 99

Rick Vaughn 99

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 256 posts
  • Facebook:kloyer5
  • LocationAnchorage, AK

Posted 28 May 2012 - 09:26 PM

Doesn't look like you updated the "Biggest Blowout" section. Although, I'm sure we would all agree, a performance like that one demanded some extra recognition.

R.A. Dickey's story is actually pretty interesting. He was born without an ulnar collateral ligament but was still drafted with a high 80's fastball. When Texas doctors realized he didn't have a UCL, they reduced their signing bonus offer from $800,000 to $75,000.

Thanks again as always TC.
- die hard fanclub member #001

#4 fromthemitten

fromthemitten

sleeps in too late to answer the calendar trivia

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,478 posts
  • Twitter:fromthemitten
  • Locationin a van down by the river

Posted 28 May 2012 - 09:33 PM

Baseball Bloggers (354) vs Exploding Meth Labs (353.5) was the closest matchup I should know I kind of died on the inside

#5 T C

T C

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 418 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 11:25 PM

Doesn't look like you updated the "Biggest Blowout" section. Although, I'm sure we would all agree, a performance like that one demanded some extra recognition.

R.A. Dickey's story is actually pretty interesting. He was born without an ulnar collateral ligament but was still drafted with a high 80's fastball. When Texas doctors realized he didn't have a UCL, they reduced their signing bonus offer from $800,000 to $75,000.

yep I got distracted in the middle of writing it and forgot to change everything...

didn't know that about Dickey. Everything Ive read about him makes him sound like a really cool guy, too

and no problem

#6 Rick Vaughn 99

Rick Vaughn 99

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 256 posts
  • LocationAnchorage, AK

Posted 29 May 2012 - 01:24 AM

yep I got distracted in the middle of writing it and forgot to change everything...

didn't know that about Dickey. Everything Ive read about him makes him sound like a really cool guy, too

and no problem

Dickey does a lot of charity work and other things to raise awareness for causes.

#7 Katie

Katie

Wait, is this not ChristianMingle.com?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 681 posts
  • Twitter:@katiekatcubs

Posted 29 May 2012 - 06:52 AM

The Exploding Meth Labs should be thrilled to be going up against me! It will be your Best Week Ever. Trust.

Oh, and I'm still bitter.
Peg: Oh Al! Did you miss me?
Al: With every bullet, so far.

#8 butlerdawgs

butlerdawgs

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 171 posts
  • Twitter:mwerner1814

Posted 29 May 2012 - 07:07 AM

Wooooo!!! First win of the year!

#9 Luke

Luke

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,088 posts
  • Twitter:@ltblaize
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 29 May 2012 - 12:16 PM

On Monday I thought that finally, after two straight weeks of my pitching abandoning me, I would finally get my usual points from my pitching staff.

And then Weaver exited in the first inning with a possible injury.

Ouch.

I've got some bats coming off the DL, and eventually Teheran and Bauer are going to get called up. If I can somehow survive another week or two, I should be in pretty good shape again.

#10 King Jeff

King Jeff

King of all Cubs fans!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,480 posts
  • Twitter:@peaceknuckle
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 29 May 2012 - 03:33 PM

So I gave up the farm to get Roy Halladay and he's done. I might be the worst manager in fantasy baseball history. I trade for a sure fire hall of famer, and he stinks it up. I bench Soriano and he starts lighting it up. I start Jeff Suppan against the Cubs yesterday, and well, I got what I deserved. My inconsistent offense can only carry my crappy pitching for so long before my team sinks into the depths.

#11 Rick Vaughn 99

Rick Vaughn 99

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 256 posts
  • LocationAnchorage, AK

Posted 29 May 2012 - 04:33 PM

So I gave up the farm to get Roy Halladay and he's done. I might be the worst manager in fantasy baseball history. I trade for a sure fire hall of famer, and he stinks it up. I bench Soriano and he starts lighting it up. I start Jeff Suppan against the Cubs yesterday, and well, I got what I deserved. My inconsistent offense can only carry my crappy pitching for so long before my team sinks into the depths.

100% of us would have started Suppan against the Cubs. It's just smart baseball.

#12 Spencer

Spencer

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,560 posts
  • LocationValparaiso, IN

Posted 29 May 2012 - 04:50 PM

So I gave up the farm to get Roy Halladay and he's done.

it's only 6-8 weeks right?

#13 T C

T C

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 418 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 05:16 PM

Shoulder injuries are very, very scary things. Anything could happen

#14 King Jeff

King Jeff

King of all Cubs fans!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,480 posts
  • Twitter:@peaceknuckle
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 29 May 2012 - 06:34 PM

I guess it's not really his shoulder. He strained the back muscle that gives the shoulder it's lifting power. I hope it's not a long term thing, but I have major reservations.

#15 Spencer

Spencer

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,560 posts
  • LocationValparaiso, IN

Posted 29 May 2012 - 08:28 PM

I guess it's not really his shoulder. He strained the back muscle that gives the shoulder it's lifting power. I hope it's not a long term thing, but I have major reservations.

Sounds like you want to trade him. Mark Reynolds is available.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).