#1 Brett

Brett

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,638 posts
  • Twitter:BleacherNation
  • Facebook:BleacherNation

Posted 29 May 2012 - 08:14 AM

Apparently Barry Bonds wants to be an instructor in the Giants' organization. Thoughts? If Mark McGwire can be a hitting coach, can Bonds find a niche? Should he be allowed to?

#2 Diesel

Diesel

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 08:48 AM

I don't think the fans in SF would really want him around. He is a big pile of feces that I have heard a lot of their fans say if he wasn't hitting the way he was they wouldn't have been happy with him on the team. He was and is a bigger clubhouse cancer than Milton Bradley and Carlos Zambrano combined.

#3 Fishin Phil

Fishin Phil

Wally Pipp of Cubs Calendar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,034 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 09:22 AM

I think he should take his talents to South Beach.
Please don't feed the psychos.

#4 Cubbie Blues

Cubbie Blues

The Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,365 posts
  • Twitter:@timhall76
  • LocationBloomington, IN

Posted 29 May 2012 - 09:33 AM

Apparently Barry Bonds wants to be an instructor in the Giants' organization. Thoughts? If Mark McGwire can be a hitting coach, can Bonds find a niche? Should he be allowed to?

Allowed to? If I'm not mistaken he never actually tested positive (although he was juiced). If the team wants I don't think MLB should step in.

"It's not the dress that makes you look fat, it's the fat that makes you look fat." - Al Bundy

"Ow" - Dylan Bundy

#5 HoustonTransplant

HoustonTransplant

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 29 May 2012 - 10:41 AM

He's a pompous, self-centered jackwagon. Not necessarily who I would want to hire as someone to teach and help others...

...but there's sure to be someone dumb enough to give him his opportunity.
making music and more since 1985

#6 fromthemitten

fromthemitten

sleeps in too late to answer the calendar trivia

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts
  • Twitter:fromthemitten
  • Locationin a van down by the river

Posted 29 May 2012 - 03:54 PM

there's a lot of pompous self-centered jackwagons in baseball but one thing I will say is that he had really good plate discipline something the Cubs are lacking this year

#7 Brett

Brett

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,638 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 04:48 PM

Allowed to? If I'm not mistaken he never actually tested positive (although he was juiced). If the team wants I don't think MLB should step in.

Technically, he's a convicted felon. I was just making conversation.

#8 fromthemitten

fromthemitten

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 05:01 PM

He tested positive for amphetamines and tried to throw one of his teammates under the bus over it

#9 T C

T C

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 418 posts
  • Twitter:@tommyecook
  • LocationThe University of Illinois

Posted 29 May 2012 - 05:21 PM

I initially thought this would be about him wanting to play again, kind of like Canseco.

My first thought was, "I bet he could post an .800 OPS"

Not to hijack this thread, but why exactly did no team want to sign him after his 2007 season? Was he injured? I know he's a horrendous teammate, but he posted 3.7 fWAR in 126 games, and could clearly still hit the cover off of the ball. Why wouldn't an AL team want to park him at DH for a few seasons and let him mash?

#10 Diesel

Diesel

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 09:59 PM

I initially thought this would be about him wanting to play again, kind of like Canseco.

Not to hijack this thread, but why exactly did no team want to sign him after his 2007 season? Was he injured? I know he's a horrendous teammate, but he posted 3.7 fWAR in 126 games, and could clearly still hit the cover off of the ball. Why wouldn't an AL team want to park him at DH for a few seasons and let him mash?

The only reason the Giants kept him through 2007 was to let him break the all time home run record. He was the world's worst teammate and no one wanted him around anymore. That is why no one signed him.

#11 Cubbie Blues

Cubbie Blues

The Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,365 posts
  • Twitter:@timhall76
  • LocationBloomington, IN

Posted 30 May 2012 - 06:49 AM

So, I was mistaken, it happens.

"It's not the dress that makes you look fat, it's the fat that makes you look fat." - Al Bundy

"Ow" - Dylan Bundy

#12 Brett

Brett

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,638 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 08:08 AM

So, I was mistaken, it happens.

Unacceptable. That's your one mistake for the rest of time. Never again.

#13 fromthemitten

fromthemitten

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 12:34 PM

If this doesn't work out he could run for office like another steroid addled pariah: http://www.huffingto...html?ref=sports

#14 SirCub

SirCub

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 908 posts
  • LocationCarrboro, NC

Posted 30 May 2012 - 12:44 PM

I always wondered the same. There were obviously some serious issues with his clubhouse behavior, but I just found it unbelievable that no team was willing to deal with the devil to get a virtual lock of a .1000+ OPS.

#15 BlueHorizons

BlueHorizons

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 360 posts
  • LocationMishawaka, Indiana

Posted 31 May 2012 - 12:17 PM

Listening to 670TheScore yesterday afternoon, this topic was being discussed (Bond's attempt to get back into the game). One thing that was said was that Bond's addressed his being a clubhouse jerk and not well liked by saying that "I created a persona everyone hated for entertainment only" - implying that he's not really a bad guy. Also, the score (I don't remember which radio personality mentioned it) was saying that recent pictures of Bonds shows that he is "remarkably smaller" than his playing days, perhaps indicating / proving that he has gotten off the "juice." I did a quick google and couldn't find any recent pics that might support that statement, unfortunately, but can only assume the statement is true.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).