8 replies to this topic

#1 Hangman

Hangman

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 09:18 PM

Cub Fans it is time for a Reality Check. The State of the Cubs is a below average to poor. They don't have any impact players (we don't know what we are going to get from this years Draft picks yet) in their farm system. They are most Likely looking at the lost of Ramirez and Pena. I also wouldn't be surprized if Wood and Dempster walked and it sounds like Zambrano and Soriano are going to be traded.

If Ramirez, Pena and Soriano are all gone before next season then that is pretty much all of the power on the roster. And If Dempster and Zambrano are gone that 2/5 of their Starting rotation. Now that's 5 holes in the roster to Start the off season and that no counting the other SP and RFer most people think they need. So if you count them that 7 holes in the Roster with a very weak FA class.

Let's face it the Cubs are in trouble and I will give you another reason. Along with a weak FA Class the Cubs don't have the pieces in the system to pull off a big trade. Also who is going to want to come to this Team through FA. Sure they will be able to give out tons of money but, then we get a player cares more any getting the big payday then winning. The Cubs are not going to be good next year no matter pick up.

There is the problem with would I am hearing some Cub's Fan. They are complaining about how Hendry ran the team and now want the Cubs to go out and sign a bunch of free agents. Have we learned nothing over the last few years. It is time to wake up and get a reality check.

#2 T C

T C

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 418 posts
  • Twitter:@tommyecook
  • LocationThe University of Illinois

Posted 26 September 2011 - 09:06 AM

Yeah, well, y'know thats just like, uh, your opinion, man

#3 Hangman

Hangman

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 03:15 PM

Not just my opinion, Jim Bowden, Morgan Ensberg and a few more experts. I am a Cubs fan but it is time to be realistic. CJ Wilson is 31 and is going to want a big deal. Pujols wants a 8 yr deal. Fielder is young but has a bad body, who is going to want big years and money and most likely will not be able to stay at 1B passed 33.

There is the killer for the Team if they keep Cashner in the Pen and we need another SP. And Edwin Jackson is not the answer unless you like a ton of Walks. Here are more reason the Cubs need more help then is available this season.

#4 MichiganGoat

MichiganGoat

Give me a BEER

• Moderators
  • 3,799 posts
  • Twitter:MichiganGoat
  • Facebook:michigangoat
  • LocationGrand Rapids, MI

Posted 26 September 2011 - 03:33 PM

"The Dude abides. I don't know about you but I take comfort in that. It's good knowin' he's out there. The Dude. Takin' 'er easy for all us sinners. Shoosh. I sure hope he makes the finals. "

I'm not worried.

MichiganGoat on Twitter

"There are a lot of guys who are respected but not liked" - Ron Santo

#5 TWC

TWC

Hippie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,052 posts
  • Twitter:@thomaswconroy
  • LocationHMB, CA

Posted 26 September 2011 - 03:57 PM

"The Dude abides. I don't know about you but I take comfort in that. It's good knowin' he's out there. The Dude. Takin' 'er easy for all us sinners. Shoosh. I sure hope he makes the finals. "

I'm not worried.

Consider this a retweet.

#6 T C

T C

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 418 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 04:16 PM

Not just my opinion, Jim Bowden, Morgan Ensberg and a few more experts. I am a Cubs fan but it is time to be realistic. CJ Wilson is 31 and is going to want a big deal. Pujols wants a 8 yr deal. Fielder is young but has a bad body, who is going to want big years and money and most likely will not be able to stay at 1B passed 33.

There is the killer for the Team if they keep Cashner in the Pen and we need another SP. And Edwin Jackson is not the answer unless you like a ton of Walks. Here are more reason the Cubs need more help then is available this season.

Yea, I know, I was joking, it was just a great excuse to quote one of my favorite movies.

I completely agree with you though. It has been positively sickening to people talking about how good this team could be if we just signed CJ Wilson and Prince Fielder and then dumped Z and Soriano so future MVP Brian LaHair can play left field and Darwin Barney will hit .330 and and...its just frustrating. This team is terrrrrible, and we're more than a few major pieces away. We have almost nothing in our minor leagues, and if Cashner becomes a reliever, that leaves one potential impact player in our system, so trades are mostly out of the picture. There's really very few ways for this team to improve....I just wish fans would stop thinking that we could in any way be good next year.

#7 T C

T C

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 418 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 04:21 PM

OH! And I saw someone compare us to the Moneyball A's today on the comments, and how this team could rebuild like them. Y'know, the same A's who had Miguel Tejada, Eric Chavez, Barry Zito, Mark Mulder, and Tim Hudson all in their primes.

We're obviously in the exact same position.....

#8 Hangman

Hangman

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 04:57 PM

That is funny.

#9 Brett

Brett

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,639 posts
  • Twitter:BleacherNation
  • Facebook:BleacherNation

Posted 27 September 2011 - 07:18 AM

Agree with Hangman's sentiments. 2012 is just not going to be an easy year for the Cubs to compete, no matter what moves they make. I think the future (2013/2014 and beyond) looks incredibly bright, but, near term, there are just so many issues.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).