Bleacher Nation is on Facebook, and you should totally "Like" us:

Bleacher Nation is also on Twitter, and you should totally follow us:

Upcoming Calendar Events

There are no forthcoming calendar events

Today's birthdays

No members are celebrating a birthday today

Photo

I already know you have no control over this, but...

• Please log in to reply
106 replies to this topic

#1 TWC

TWC

Hippie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,052 posts
  • Twitter:@thomaswconroy
  • LocationHMB, CA

Posted 30 May 2012 - 09:33 AM

For the better part of the last couple weeks, any time I load the main page* on my iPhone, there's a 'skip', and then BN goes away and the website redirects to an ad, with a "Download NOW" popup. Clearing the popup does nothing, I cannot hit 'back' to return, but I have to fully exit Safari and reload the website to be able to view the main page*. This had never happened on my iPad or desktop browser.

It's pretty maddening. So, Ace, when do you start the paid-BN membership with the ad-free option? Grumble.

*edit: Come to think of it, I'm pretty sure it happens when I try to load the Message Board, not the main page.

#2 packman711

packman711

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 30 May 2012 - 10:48 AM

Ditto.

How about if you make an ad free page if I promise to click on 10 ads a day?

#3 Brett

Brett

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,638 posts
  • Twitter:BleacherNation
  • Facebook:BleacherNation

Posted 30 May 2012 - 12:24 PM

This is news to me and isn't something I've cleared. I'll have to dig in. So it's just on your iPhone, and it's just the Message Board? How frequently would you say? Every single visit, multiple pages? Every single visit, but only the first page? Randomly every few visits? Once every 10 visits?

I'd love to offer members an ad-free, subscription-type deal, but the logistics of it are way beyond the scope of what I physically have time and ability to implement and manage. It's one of those "someday when I have a staff" kind of things, but I can sense that it would not be practical right now. I'm already living every day at the edges of what I can physically do, and it's going to be some time before that changes.

It's not how I prefer things to be, but there's a reason there are very few independent shops like this. The growing pains are substantial.

#4 Brett

Brett

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,638 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 12:25 PM

Oh, and if you're able to send me a screenshot, that would be fantastic (I haven't been able to re-create it).

#5 TWC

TWC

Hippie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,052 posts
  • LocationHMB, CA

Posted 30 May 2012 - 12:30 PM

This is news to me and isn't something I've cleared. I'll have to dig in. So it's just on your iPhone, and it's just the Message Board? How frequently would you say? Every single visit, multiple pages? Every single visit, but only the first page? Randomly every few visits? Once every 10 visits?

As far as I can tell, yes, just the Message Board, and it's only the first visit per... day? I think. I don't believe it's happened more than once a day. And yes, only on the first load of the MB, following the link from the home page.

I'd love to offer members an ad-free, subscription-type deal, but the logistics of it are way beyond the scope of what I physically have time and ability to implement and manage. ...

It's not how I prefer things to be, but there's a reason there are very few independent shops like this. The growing pains are substantial.

Oh, I understand this, man, I do. And it doesn't dissuade me from visiting the site -- the nonsensical anti-everything comments on the front page do (kidding). I know you care about these things, otherwise I wouldn't be telling you.

I'll just buy more tshirts. More liquidity = more staff!

#6 TWC

TWC

Hippie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,052 posts
  • LocationHMB, CA

Posted 30 May 2012 - 12:30 PM

Oh, and if you're able to send me a screenshot, that would be fantastic (I haven't been able to re-create it).

I will do my best to post one (or more) next time it happens.

#7 Brett

Brett

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,638 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 12:48 PM

Thanks, TWC. This will help me run down the source - can you tell what product/service/whatever it is? Any details you can provide are helpful. Thanks.

#8 TWC

TWC

Hippie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,052 posts
  • LocationHMB, CA

Posted 30 May 2012 - 12:51 PM

Thanks, TWC. This will help me run down the source - can you tell what product/service/whatever it is?

Really, no. I just get frustrated and quit Safari immediately. I'll try to be more patient next time it happens.

#9 packman711

packman711

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 30 May 2012 - 01:50 PM

The "ad free" was a semi-joke. It is work with subscriptions, and your time is better served I'm sure.

For me it's random. Hasn't happened in a few days. I know that's not helpful. If I can get it to reoccur ill shoot you a screen shot.

#10 Brett

Brett

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,638 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 03:41 PM

Thanks, gents. And sorry about that. Some of the ad-related gripes are things that I'm like, "really? come on, dudes..." but this isn't one of them. This would annoy me to no end if I were experiencing it, too.

#11 Dave

Dave

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 427 posts
  • LocationSpringfield, MO

Posted 30 May 2012 - 05:22 PM

"someday when I have a staff"

Children, have many of them. Free labor.

I've gotten a weird redirect on my phone a couple of times, its been a week or so. I didn't think much of it.

#12 MichiganGoat

MichiganGoat

Give me a BEER

• Moderators
  • 3,798 posts
  • Twitter:MichiganGoat
  • Facebook:michigangoat
  • LocationGrand Rapids, MI

Posted 31 May 2012 - 04:52 AM

I've never had that happen to me on my iPhone, there is a annoying bottom bar ad that is a little annoying but it only covers like 1/6 of the screen.

MichiganGoat on Twitter

"There are a lot of guys who are respected but not liked" - Ron Santo

#13 Brett

Brett

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,638 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 08:24 AM

I've never had that happen to me on my iPhone, there is a annoying bottom bar ad that is a little annoying but it only covers like 1/6 of the screen.

Now that one I have seen. It's rare, and you can close it out, so I decided to let it stay. Hope that's ok.

#14 TWC

TWC

Hippie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,052 posts
  • LocationHMB, CA

Posted 31 May 2012 - 08:41 AM

Now that one I have seen. It's rare, and you can close it out, so I decided to let it stay. Hope that's ok.

I've seen that one occasionally. Seems like it's always a Lexus ad for me.

#15 TWC

TWC

Hippie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,052 posts
  • LocationHMB, CA

Posted 31 May 2012 - 09:06 AM

Happened thrice in a row this morning:

Went to BN:

Posted Image

Clicked Message Board in the top right. The Message Board never loaded, but the page skipped immediately to this:

Posted Image

Clicking the 'OK' to remove the popup left me here:

Posted Image

Clicking the back button brought me back to the home page -- not the Message Board. I may have been mistaken yesterday when I said the MB loaded first before skipping to the ad. (You'll note that the times on my pics are out of order because I didn't catch the first redirect.)

Now the ad was the same all 3 times I saw it this morning, but I've got the feeling that it was different yesterday, but I can't remember the product it was for. I'm fairly certain that the popup said something like 'Download Now'.

Hope this helps, Ace. Again, this has never happened on my iPad or either desktop I use.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).