Bleacher Nation is on Facebook, and you should totally "Like" us:

Bleacher Nation is also on Twitter, and you should totally follow us:

Upcoming Calendar Events

There are no forthcoming calendar events

Today's birthdays

No members are celebrating a birthday today

Photo

I already know you have no control over this, but...

• Please log in to reply
106 replies to this topic

#16 Cubbie Blues

Cubbie Blues

The Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,371 posts
  • Twitter:@timhall76
  • LocationBloomington, IN

Posted 31 May 2012 - 09:51 AM

Happened thrice in a row this morning:

Went to BN:

Clicked Message Board in the top right. The Message Board never loaded, but the page skipped immediately to this:

Posted Image

Clicking the back button brought me back to the home page -- not the Message Board. I may have been mistaken yesterday when I said the MB loaded first before skipping to the ad. (You'll note that the times on my pics are out of order because I didn't catch the first redirect.)

Now the ad was the same all 3 times I saw it this morning, but I've got the feeling that it was different yesterday, but I can't remember the product it was for. I'm fairly certain that the popup said something like 'Download Now'.

Hope this helps, Ace. Again, this has never happened on my iPad or either desktop I use.

Congrats on winning the iPad 2!!! When do you get it? Posted Image

"It's not the dress that makes you look fat, it's the fat that makes you look fat." - Al Bundy

"Ow" - Dylan Bundy

#17 Brett

Brett

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,645 posts
  • Twitter:BleacherNation
  • Facebook:BleacherNation

Posted 31 May 2012 - 02:51 PM

Thanks, TWC. Very helpful. I'll start running this down with my ad networks with the intention of killing it (unless it's paying me a king's ransom...). One last(?) question: does the popup only happen when you come to the board via the BN home page? Does it only happen when you use that particular link on the home page? What about the links to specific posts in the right sidebar on the home page?

#18 MichiganGoat

MichiganGoat

Give me a BEER

• Moderators
  • 3,799 posts
  • Twitter:MichiganGoat
  • Facebook:michigangoat
  • LocationGrand Rapids, MI

Posted 31 May 2012 - 03:16 PM

Oh I've seen that, so Brett where is my iPad?

MichiganGoat on Twitter

"There are a lot of guys who are respected but not liked" - Ron Santo

#19 TWC

TWC

Hippie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,061 posts
  • Twitter:@thomaswconroy
  • LocationHMB, CA

Posted 31 May 2012 - 03:22 PM

[D]oes the popup only happen when you come to the board via the BN home page?

I believe so, but as you might be able to tell from the discrepancy between my original post and this morning's follow up, I'm not 100% sure. I only have the front page bookmarked, and that's where I start my BN browsing.

Does it only happen when you use that particular link on the home page?

That seems to be the case, but I'll keep an eye out to let you know for sure.

What about the links to specific posts in the right sidebar on the home page?

I don't think I've ever used those links. I prefer to go directly to the main MB page (where I can easily see what's new & unread.

Thanks, TWC. Very helpful. I'll start running this down with my ad networks with the intention of killing it (unless it's paying me a king's ransom...)

If link hijacking & directing traffic away from your website pays you a king's ransom, I'm in the long line of work!

All in all, it's a minor annoyance that I can deal with (occasionally) -- but it's certainly more distracting than sidebar or banner ads (even those with the rollover/popup functionality). It's just been catching me off guard, and at 6:19 AM I prefer not to be caught off-guard.

#20 MichiganGoat

MichiganGoat

Give me a BEER

• Moderators
  • 3,799 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 03:22 PM

Come to think of it I've seen this on other sites as well (I think) I just close Safari and move on. Could it be a iPhone app that is pushing ads vs. something BN related?

MichiganGoat on Twitter

#21 TWC

TWC

Hippie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,061 posts
  • LocationHMB, CA

Posted 31 May 2012 - 03:24 PM

Come to think of it I've seen this on other sites as well (I think) I just close Safari and move on. Could it be a iPhone app that is pushing ads vs. something BN related?

I'm pretty sure Apple would quickly stomp all over an iPhone app that affected Safari browsing.

#22 Brett

Brett

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,645 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 07:21 PM

By the way, I'm doing some Googling on this, and it appears to have blown up across many sites in the last two weeks (many of which sites say it isn't them, and say that it must be something on the user's iPhone - my response to that, though, is why is it triggered only by some sites (like the Message Board here)). Still researching.

#23 Brett

Brett

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,645 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 07:38 PM

Ok, so it's some kind of thing that's popping up across all kinds of message boards (different platforms, some that don't even have ads), and it's affecting people on mobile phones (mostly iPhone). I'm going to contact my ad providers and see if they're aware of anything, but I have a suspicion that it's something on your phone that is triggered by something on certain message board software (I checked the site files here and there does not appear to be any malicious code).

#24 Luke

Luke

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,086 posts
  • Twitter:@ltblaize
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 31 May 2012 - 10:00 PM

I'm pretty sure Apple would quickly stomp all over an iPhone app that affected Safari browsing.

Once they had a fix ready for the exploit they would. They might stay quiet until then.

#25 Crockett

Crockett

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 01:03 PM

This is now affecting Android. Got it the first time today. I am using Android 2.3.4 and the Dolphin browser.

#26 MichiganGoat

MichiganGoat

Give me a BEER

• Moderators
  • 3,799 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 06:27 AM

Okay this has happened to me like 5 times in the past day, but not when I'm clicking on the MB link it happened when I clicked on a comment, when I clicked on a article and when I initially loaded the page. I'm sure it will go away in time, someone just found a loophole and I'm sure a patch will be coming.

MichiganGoat on Twitter

#27 Brett

Brett

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,645 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 07:18 AM

Okay this has happened to me like 5 times in the past day, but not when I'm clicking on the MB link it happened when I clicked on a comment, when I clicked on a article and when I initially loaded the page. I'm sure it will go away in time, someone just found a loophole and I'm sure a patch will be coming.

Wait - it happened when you clicked on a comment on the blog? As in, you weren't on the Message Board at all?

#28 Brett

Brett

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,645 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 07:24 AM

Also, I'm assuming that a simple solution like clearing cache/cookies, turning off your phone, turning it back on and making sure in your setting to set to "don't allow popups" before coming back here, doesn't work? I never thought about it until now, but I've got popups blocked on my iPhone, and I've never seen this thing you guys are seeing. Maybe? Possible? I know it seems too obvious, and you've probably tried it. But maybe doing all the clearing first before turning it on, and then coming here, will help.

#29 Spencer

Spencer

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,560 posts
  • LocationValparaiso, IN

Posted 02 June 2012 - 08:12 AM

The exact same thing just happened to me on the main page on my android

#30 TWC

TWC

Hippie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,061 posts
  • LocationHMB, CA

Posted 02 June 2012 - 09:02 AM

It happened a bunch on the front page yesterday for me, too. Not after hitting a link, but just before the page fully loaded it redirected to the spam. And, yes, popups are blocked and (as of two days ago) browser cashe and cookies were fully scrubbed. I'm really pretty confident it's not my phone at this point.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).