Bleacher Nation is on Facebook, and you should totally "Like" us:

Bleacher Nation is also on Twitter, and you should totally follow us:

Upcoming Calendar Events

There are no forthcoming calendar events

Today's birthdays

Photo

I already know you have no control over this, but...

• Please log in to reply
106 replies to this topic

#91 TWC

TWC

Hippie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,052 posts
  • Twitter:@thomaswconroy
  • LocationHMB, CA

Posted 10 July 2012 - 10:55 AM

It's still on the right hand side of the Message Board

#92 MichiganGoat

MichiganGoat

Give me a BEER

• Moderators
  • 3,799 posts
  • Twitter:MichiganGoat
  • Facebook:michigangoat
  • LocationGrand Rapids, MI

Posted 10 July 2012 - 01:58 PM

I say it on the message board this morning but now it's good old ads

MichiganGoat on Twitter

"There are a lot of guys who are respected but not liked" - Ron Santo

#93 Brett

Brett

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,640 posts
  • Twitter:BleacherNation
  • Facebook:BleacherNation

Posted 10 July 2012 - 02:21 PM

I say it on the message board this morning but now it's good old ads

I made a change this afternoon, so we'll see if it lasts...

#94 Spencer

Spencer

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,560 posts
  • LocationValparaiso, IN

Posted 10 July 2012 - 03:23 PM

the beach is gone, instead i am being treated to ads that make sounds when i roll over them.

#95 MichiganGoat

MichiganGoat

Give me a BEER

• Moderators
  • 3,799 posts
  • Twitter:MichiganGoat
  • Facebook:michigangoat
  • LocationGrand Rapids, MI

Posted 12 July 2012 - 06:34 AM

Everything looks good right now, in fact today's ad is for a kegerator :D

MichiganGoat on Twitter

"There are a lot of guys who are respected but not liked" - Ron Santo

#96 Brett

Brett

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,640 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 08:18 AM

And just as you say that, I think it's back. And it might be for a little while. Grumble.

#97 Spencer

Spencer

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,560 posts
  • LocationValparaiso, IN

Posted 12 July 2012 - 12:55 PM

I cant find the edit button on the blog for my comments anymore.

#98 Cubbie Blues

Cubbie Blues

The Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,369 posts
  • Twitter:@timhall76
  • LocationBloomington, IN

Posted 12 July 2012 - 12:59 PM

I'm not seeing the beach scene anymore.

"It's not the dress that makes you look fat, it's the fat that makes you look fat." - Al Bundy

"Ow" - Dylan Bundy

#99 Brett

Brett

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,640 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 01:33 PM

It's gone, unfortunately. A software problem that I'm not able to resolve currently. Hopefully I can in the future, but, for now, it's gone.

#100 TWC

TWC

Hippie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,052 posts
  • LocationHMB, CA

Posted 18 July 2012 - 03:38 PM

It's gone, unfortunately. A software problem that I'm not able to resolve currently. Hopefully I can in the future, but, for now, it's gone.

Can you elaborate? Like, "a software problem" is pretty vague. I can understand if it was a new feature that you had introduced that was fucking up the site somehow, but that edit button's been there for an awfully long while at this point, and seems like things were working fine from the user end. I really hate -- as I'm sure other folks do -- missing a dumb typo and not being able to quickly and easily fix it.

#101 Brett

Brett

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,640 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 06:23 PM

Can you elaborate? Like, "a software problem" is pretty vague. I can understand if it was a new feature that you had introduced that was fucking up the site somehow, but that edit button's been there for an awfully long while at this point, and seems like things were working fine from the user end. I really hate -- as I'm sure other folks do -- missing a dumb typo and not being able to quickly and easily fix it.

Wordpress had an update, and the update made the plugin that enabled that functionality no longer usable (when it went missing, that was what happened - it came back briefly due to a glitch in another plugin, but that plugin was fixed (which was necessary), which once again made the plugin with the edit function no longer appear).

The plugin that housed the edit function (together with the more complete set of commenting tools) hasn't been supported in a couple years. We were lucky it worked as long as it did, actually. I'm keeping my eyes open for a replacement, or for the original one to be updated so it works again, but that's where things stand.

#102 Brett

Brett

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,640 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 06:25 PM

In the interim, I'll try to find a simple plugin that allows for editing. You have to be VERY careful when implementing them, though, because they allow end users access (limited, hopefully) to the database. I'm very, very cautious about implementing such things.

#103 TWC

TWC

Hippie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,052 posts
  • LocationHMB, CA

Posted 18 July 2012 - 06:26 PM

Ah, well thanks for that. That makes more sense.

It surprises me, though, that considering the gazillions of sites that have been created through Wordpress that there isn't a set of commenting/editing tools/plugins that work the way that we've gotten used to 'round here.

#104 Brett

Brett

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,640 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 06:35 PM

Ah, well thanks for that. That makes more sense.

It surprises me, though, that considering the gazillions of sites that have been created through Wordpress that there isn't a set of commenting/editing tools/plugins that work the way that we've gotten used to 'round here.

It surprises me, too. There aren't many, I've tried them all, that was the only one that worked. It surprises many of us humble bloggers (unless you're willing to turn your comments over to a third-party platform, which I am not). Anytime anyone wants to do some searching (wordpress.org plugins), I'm wide open to it. To put it shortly, I've spent many, many, many hours on it over the years, and I'd be lying if I said I hadn't gotten weary about it. It's the number one most frustrating thing I've come across in terms of the user experience.

In other words: it's not like I'm blowing it off. I promise you, I care about it, too. It's a subject that, given the amount of time I've spent on it, and what has now happened, makes me easily annoyed.

#105 Brett

Brett

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,640 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 06:39 PM

(And, let me add, there are plenty of "edit comments" plugins out there, but that's never been my goal with the comments - I want a full-featured upgrade to them. I anticipate being able to implement one of those "edit comments" things soon-ish. But, until the trade deadline passes, it's not a priority.)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).