14 replies to this topic

#1 Stinky Pete

Stinky Pete

The Woodward AND Bernstein of the Message Board

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 624 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 07:06 PM

I am organizing a Monopoly tournament as a fundraiser for a local non profit, North Iowa Vocational Center. www.nivcservices.org
This company helps train people with barriers to employment and find employment in the community.

Place: Mason City, Iowa
Time: TBD (Noonish)
Date: 22 September 2012
Cost: $25
Prizes for individual Place winners and a Team (5) Champion.

We are early in the planning stage so I don't have many other details. If you are interested, let me know and I will send you info as it comes out.

Thanks!!

Peace

#2 TWC

TWC

Hippie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,055 posts
  • Twitter:@thomaswconroy
  • LocationHMB, CA

Posted 30 May 2012 - 07:53 PM

Man, I SO want in on this. Too bad I'm not in Mason City. Can I get Hansman as my proxy?

#3 Stinky Pete

Stinky Pete

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 624 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 09:53 PM

Absolutely!

Actually there are official tournaments all over the country.

http://monopolytournaments.com/

#4 Brett

Brett

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,641 posts
  • Twitter:BleacherNation
  • Facebook:BleacherNation

Posted 31 May 2012 - 08:23 AM

The only question that matters: does "tax" money go into the center of the board, and you get it if you land on Free Parking?

#5 TWC

TWC

Hippie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,055 posts
  • LocationHMB, CA

Posted 31 May 2012 - 08:42 AM

The only question that matters: does "tax" money go into the center of the board, and you get it if you land on Free Parking?

That's like the most unwrittenest rule ever!

#6 TWC

TWC

Hippie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,055 posts
  • LocationHMB, CA

Posted 31 May 2012 - 08:44 AM

Far out, man. This reminds me of my competitive Scrabble days. Funny how having a kid changes everything... I haven't played in a Scrabble tournament in, oh, six & 1/2 years or so. I think I still have my flashcards somewhere, too.

#7 Stinky Pete

Stinky Pete

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 624 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 09:42 AM

Not in my Tournament, mister!

#8 Luke

Luke

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,083 posts
  • Twitter:@ltblaize
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 31 May 2012 - 10:03 AM

If you land on a railroad, and owner of the railroad owns more than one railroad, can you move your piece to one of the other railroads he owns?

I've always liked that rule, myself.

#9 Spencer

Spencer

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,560 posts
  • LocationValparaiso, IN

Posted 31 May 2012 - 10:15 AM

Far out, man. This reminds me of my competitive Scrabble days. Funny how having a kid changes everything... I haven't played in a Scrabble tournament in, oh, six & 1/2 years or so. I think I still have my flashcards somewhere, too.

do you have words with friends? we should play!

#10 Stinky Pete

Stinky Pete

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 624 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 11:21 AM

If you land on a railroad, and owner of the railroad owns more than one railroad, can you move your piece to one of the other railroads he owns?

I have honestly never heard of that rule. It makes sense, but I've spent my life in the backwoods of Iowa.

#11 Still Love the Cubs

Still Love the Cubs

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 359 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 10:08 PM

I have honestly never heard of that rule. It makes sense, but I've spent my life in the backwoods of Iowa.

Ha!! I've never heard that rule either. I'm in Iowa as well. Must be something that the rest of the country knows but they left us out of the loop on.

I like that rule though. Next time we play, I'm totally going to try to convince everyone to let that one in. I'm all for spicing it up in as may ways possible.

#12 Luke

Luke

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,083 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 31 May 2012 - 11:35 PM

Ha!! I've never heard that rule either. I'm in Iowa as well. Must be something that the rest of the country knows but they left us out of the loop on.

I like that rule though. Next time we play, I'm totally going to try to convince everyone to let that one in. I'm all for spicing it up in as may ways possible.

Maybe it's just a Southern Indiana (where I grew up) thing.

It makes sense though. And if definitely tends to change the strategy some.

#13 Cubbie Blues

Cubbie Blues

The Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,369 posts
  • Twitter:@timhall76
  • LocationBloomington, IN

Posted 01 June 2012 - 07:22 AM

I'm from southern Indiana and have never heard of that rule either (must be a west side thing).

"It's not the dress that makes you look fat, it's the fat that makes you look fat." - Al Bundy

"Ow" - Dylan Bundy

#14 Brett

Brett

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,641 posts
  • Twitter:BleacherNation
  • Facebook:BleacherNation

Posted 01 June 2012 - 10:20 AM

Just makes people not want to own railroads, right?

#15 Luke

Luke

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,083 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 01 June 2012 - 12:07 PM

Just makes people not want to own railroads, right?

Actually, no. It makes railroads more valuable (in most circumstances), and it encourages people to not focus solely on developing Corners Of Death. For example, developing Yellow and Green isn't quite as nice if someone can railroad right around them. Odds are, though that it would be tougher to railroad around both Red and Green, for instance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).