Bleacher Nation is on Facebook, and you should totally "Like" us:

Bleacher Nation is also on Twitter, and you should totally follow us:

Upcoming Calendar Events

There are no forthcoming calendar events

Today's birthdays

No members are celebrating a birthday today

Photo

Marmol (The Broken Record aka Beating the Deadhorse)

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 BlueHorizons

BlueHorizons

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 360 posts
  • LocationMishawaka, Indiana

Posted 31 May 2012 - 01:18 PM

I know... I'm a broken record on this topic... but dang!

A few weeks back, the Cubs mercifully shipped Marmol onto the DL, so that he could be "fixed". He had, best as I can tell, just one rehab appearance with Iowa, in which he pitched AN inning, striking out three (of course this is AAA) and walking one. To me, the key is that little phrase, "walking one". He's not fooling AAA batters, and especially not MLBers.

So, yesterday, into the game trots Marmol, in the 7th, with the Cubs still in the game, down just one run and well within reach. (uhh... didn't we hear that Marmol wouldn't be placed into that kind of situation for a while?!) First batter flies out to LF. Second batter WALKED. Third batter WALKED. About this time, (probably even after the FIRST walk), the proverbial giant hook should have been making its way to the mind to send Marmol to the dugout, but noo... he was kept in. One out, runners at 1st and second.

Fortunately, the next batter flied out to RF and the last batter struck out. I guess that's what I (we) should focus on.

Marmol's main issue was not being able to find the strike zone. Secondary to that, when he finally DID find the strike zone, the batter was regularly able to hit it a long distance... way too many HRs. Not being able to watch the game, I have no idea how close either of those two flyouts were to cresting the wall, but had either of these gone out of the park, it would probably have put the game out of reach and forced the Cubs and their fans to suffer another defeat.

I KNOW he isn't intentionally bad and he is trying his utmost to perform well, but I don't think he's any closer to being "fixed". Thankfully, I think he got lucky yesterday and was able to escape with a scoreless inning. I can only hope that Sveum and company aren't looking at Marmol like he's now ready to do battle, thinking that he's "fixed".

#2 King Jeff

King Jeff

King of all Cubs fans!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,475 posts
  • Twitter:@peaceknuckle
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 31 May 2012 - 01:30 PM

What are we going to do? We're Old Mother Hubbard, and only Marmol's in the cupboard.

#3 BlueHorizons

BlueHorizons

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 360 posts
  • LocationMishawaka, Indiana

Posted 31 May 2012 - 01:41 PM

What are we going to do? We're Old Mother Hubbard, and only Marmol's in the cupboard.

Hell, I'd send Mother Hubbard to the mound before I'd send Marmol out there in a "pressure situation" until he's proved that he can consistently find the strike zone... maybe cut his walks to strike out ratio a little?!

#4 fromthemitten

fromthemitten

sleeps in too late to answer the calendar trivia

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts
  • Twitter:fromthemitten
  • Locationin a van down by the river

Posted 31 May 2012 - 04:45 PM

Joe Mather pitched two innings for the Cardinals a couple years back...

I think a lot of people need to get off his case. He's notoriously shy (he came from a really small village in the DR) and I don't know if the intense fan/media scrutiny is doing him anything good. His problems could be mental

#5 Rick Vaughn 99

Rick Vaughn 99

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 256 posts
  • Facebook:kloyer5
  • LocationAnchorage, AK

Posted 31 May 2012 - 08:35 PM

Fucking quote of the night.
- die hard fanclub member #001

#6 rcleven

rcleven

Bleacher Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,069 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 09:52 AM

"I can only hope that Sveum and company aren't looking at Marmol like he's now ready to do battle, thinking that he's "fixed". "

Really don't think Sveum thinks that he is fixed. The day Marmol was brought back up he was up in the pen and not used. I think Dale's head is about to explode with what he has been given to work with. Dale kept bringing back Dolis until he had enough and shipped him off to Iowa. There is just no place to ship Marmol off to.

#7 Fishin Phil

Fishin Phil

Wally Pipp of Cubs Calendar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,034 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 10:28 AM

There is just no place to ship Marmol off to.

May I suggest The Island Of Misfit Toys?
Please don't feed the psychos.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).