#1 Edgar

Edgar

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 149 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 31 May 2012 - 03:15 PM

Castro came in at number nine. But there is a big surprise at number 26.

thoughts?

http://espn.go.com/m...se-player-draft

#2 King Jeff

King Jeff

King of all Cubs fans!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,476 posts
  • Twitter:@peaceknuckle
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 31 May 2012 - 03:46 PM

I saw that, and noticed it was Rick Sutcliffe who picked him, and then thought "no big deal". I was reading the comments though and some of the writers were talking about him going 4 or 5 picks before Sutcliffe took him. It seems he's got some fans at ESPN.

#3 fromthemitten

fromthemitten

sleeps in too late to answer the calendar trivia

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts
  • Twitter:fromthemitten
  • Locationin a van down by the river

Posted 31 May 2012 - 04:46 PM

Is there a list that I can see without having to watch a video? I find most everything on espn insufferable

#4 King Jeff

King Jeff

King of all Cubs fans!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,476 posts
  • Twitter:@peaceknuckle
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 31 May 2012 - 04:48 PM

Is there a list that I can see without having to watch a video? I find most everything on espn insufferable

Yeah, you can't go to espn without at least two video's trying to play, and that's if the screen doesn't get taken over by a giant truck ad.

#5 fromthemitten

fromthemitten

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 05:03 PM

SI.com does that too, I've been getting most of my sports news from hardballtalk. I also find Craig Calcaterra very entertaining even if he's unabashedly biased towards the Braves (he makes it up by trolling Phillies fans)

#6 dkhockey24

dkhockey24

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
  • Twitter:@dkhockey24
  • LocationChicago/New York

Posted 31 May 2012 - 05:32 PM

The list is on the right side of the page

#7 Rick Vaughn 99

Rick Vaughn 99

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 256 posts
  • Facebook:kloyer5
  • LocationAnchorage, AK

Posted 31 May 2012 - 08:34 PM

I saw that, and noticed it was Rick Sutcliffe who picked him, and then thought "no big deal". I was reading the comments though and some of the writers were talking about him going 4 or 5 picks before Sutcliffe took him. It seems he's got some fans at ESPN.

I thought the same thing when I saw Sutcliffe's name. Just rolled my eyes and exited out of the ESPN site. I think it's too early to tell if wild thing has put his wild days behind him. But at the same time, I'll take my positives where I can get them.
- die hard fanclub member #001

#8 T C

T C

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 418 posts
  • Twitter:@tommyecook
  • LocationThe University of Illinois

Posted 31 May 2012 - 09:38 PM

Im about to lose it reading this. Miguel Cabrera, regardless of his age and inability to play much defense, is a generational talent with his bat. He's not even 30 yet, so the idea that he isn't that valuable in a "franchise" draft is ridiculous. From a fantasy perspective, he's likely to have 3B eligibility for the next 2-4 years while hitting 30+ HR while hitting .320-.340. That Jeff fucking Samardzija would go ahead of him is one of the more stupefying things I've read in a while. My brain cannot even handle it.

More importantly, there are lots of other player who went before Miggy that make no sense...like Prince Fielder, who is not even close to the hitter that Cabrera is, but instead comes with 3 times the demarcations for soon-to-be-DHedness, historically worrying body type, and having to adjust to new pitchers relatively late in his career. I just...

I can't let myself get too upset by this, but its difficult not to

#9 Rick Vaughn 99

Rick Vaughn 99

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 256 posts
  • Facebook:kloyer5
  • LocationAnchorage, AK

Posted 31 May 2012 - 09:46 PM

Im about to lose it reading this. Miguel Cabrera, regardless of his age and inability to play much defense, is a generational talent with his bat. He's not even 30 yet, so the idea that he isn't that valuable in a "franchise" draft is ridiculous. From a fantasy perspective, he's likely to have 3B eligibility for the next 2-4 years while hitting 30+ HR while hitting .320-.340. That Jeff fucking Samardzija would go ahead of him is one of the more stupefying things I've read in a while. My brain cannot even handle it.

More importantly, there are lots of other player who went before Miggy that make no sense...like Prince Fielder, who is not even close to the hitter that Cabrera is, but instead comes with 3 times the demarcations for soon-to-be-DHedness, historically worrying body type, and having to adjust to new pitchers relatively late in his career. I just...

I can't let myself get too upset by this, but its difficult not to

ESPN at its finest.
- die hard fanclub member #001

#10 fromthemitten

fromthemitten

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 10:38 PM

I think the appeal of Shark might be the lack of innings on his arm as compared to 27 year old pitchers (I should also note that it's widely believed that age 26-28 are a pitcher's "prime" years) due to him splitting his time with football in college. Not only that, but I'm sure it cut into his innings thrown in HS and travel teams due to also having to focus on the demands of football.

#11 Edgar

Edgar

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 149 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 31 May 2012 - 11:06 PM

I would think that him having a football background there would be less concerns with his arm. I think he was a WR though.

#12 Joker

Joker

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • Twitter:@joeyoakes
  • LocationTennessee

Posted 01 June 2012 - 02:48 PM

It's a just a list boys. I use one with as much credibility when I go grocery shopping. And like Sutcliffe's grocery list, mine has beer on it as well. (ba-da-dum).
The Outfield is Eating Andre Dawson!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).