T C

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 418 posts
  • Twitter:@tommyecook
  • LocationThe University of Illinois

Posted 26 September 2011 - 08:14 PM

It has just been reported that Ozzie Guillen is being traded to the Florida Marlins of Miami for "at least one player."

Personally, I think its hilarious, but I'm just wondering what everyone thinks of the concept of trading for a manager, especially one who appears to have been on his way out soon anyway. If you were a GM, is there ANY circumstance under which you would trade a player for a manager?

#2 Dave

Dave

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 427 posts
  • LocationSpringfield, MO

Posted 26 September 2011 - 08:23 PM

I'd trade Quade for an Old Style and some nachos.

#3 TWC

TWC

Hippie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,052 posts
  • Twitter:@thomaswconroy
  • LocationHMB, CA

Posted 26 September 2011 - 08:54 PM

Can we trade Quade to the Sox for Dunn?

#4 Fishin Phil

Fishin Phil

Wally Pipp of Cubs Calendar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,034 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 05:23 AM

I'd trade Quade for an Old Style and some nachos.

The only person who would take that trade is Hendry.
Please don't feed the psychos.

#5 Brett

Brett

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,639 posts
  • Twitter:BleacherNation
  • Facebook:BleacherNation

Posted 27 September 2011 - 07:17 AM

I highly doubt the White Sox will get much of anything for Guillen. The Marlins know he was on the way out. That said, he could be a huge draw for that particular franchise, so they want to be sure to be the team that gets him. They'll send a couple low level prospects, but nothing to get excited about.

Just a guess.

#6 MichiganGoat

MichiganGoat

Give me a BEER

• Moderators
  • 3,798 posts
  • Twitter:MichiganGoat
  • Facebook:michigangoat
  • LocationGrand Rapids, MI

Posted 27 September 2011 - 07:39 AM

Last night ESPN and Bruce Levine reported that a trade had happened for two minor leaguers before the end of the White Sox game. Levine had an article on ESPNChicago but by the time Ozzie had his press conference that link was replaced with an article that stated Ozzie had been released. Sportscenter then did spin control saying something was still in the works and today they are saying he has been released but that a trade will still happen.

This is why I'm really sick of ESPN, they report stories without confirming those stories as news an then quickly change stories online without admitting fault or stating a retraction. Maybe the trade rumor will be correct, but the leader in sports journalism has to have high standards.

MichiganGoat on Twitter

"There are a lot of guys who are respected but not liked" - Ron Santo

#7 T C

T C

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 418 posts
  • Twitter:@tommyecook
  • LocationThe University of Illinois

Posted 27 September 2011 - 01:29 PM

Ok, yea, this makes a lot more sense if he's just being released, thanks MG. for what its worth, I agree about ESPN's journalistic standards (as in, I pretty much believe they have none...)

And Brett, even if they did give up two non-prospects for Guillen, I still dont know how a GM could justify that, especially since he was about to be released anyway. It's like the Cubs trading for a soon-to-be released Jeff Baker a few years back. It made no sense when you could just pick him up later anyway...At least all we sent was some scrub non-prospect.....oh wait

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).