Drew

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 129 posts
  • Twitter:@Drew7
  • LocationUrbana, IL

Posted 02 June 2012 - 11:54 PM

I know this has nothing to do with the Cubs or any professional sports, but I felt it deserved to be mentioned.

Coaching baseball is something I have always wanted to do. My career as a Financial Planner, up until this year, prevented me from doing so. Upon changing companies, I was offered a coaching position, and I was happy to take it.

This past week, while I was on vacation with my wife and kids, I received news that one of the kids that accepted my assistance the most, and one of our best returning players, had died in a car accident. He was 17 years old.

Brandon was one of the kids that made coaching great. I worked almost exclusively on hitting, and Brandon was one of the kids that trusted my teachings and worked his butt off to get better every day. After every single AB, he would immediately come to me and see what he needed to do to improve, no matter the result of the AB. After we lost in heart-breaking fashion in the regional semis 2 weeks ago, he immediately wanted to know how we were going to take his abilities to the next level during the off-season.

Brandon almost certainly wouldnt have played anywhere special, and wasnt the most talented kid, even in our own lineup, most of the time. He did, however, consistently show great work ethic and drive. Its those qualities that would have taken him far in the world most of us live in.

What I really want to get across is, life really is sacred. Brandon's time on earth was cut way too short, but I'm glad I was able to, in however small of a way, help him enjoy doing one of the things in life he loved to do. Our team lost a great leadoff hitter, but the world lost a great young man. RIP Brandon Umbarger.

#2 Luke D

Luke D

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 01:39 AM

Oh my god. This is tragic. My heart goes out to Brandon's family, friends, and coaches.

I just turned 18, probably played in my last organized game a few weeks ago when my team was eliminated in Districts. Reading this story makes me long for as much more time I can get on the field.

Truly every day is sacred.

#3 Brett

Brett

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,638 posts
  • Twitter:BleacherNation
  • Facebook:BleacherNation

Posted 03 June 2012 - 06:10 AM

A sad, and poignant reminder.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).