Recent Topics

Bleacher Nation is on Facebook, and you should totally "Like" us:

Bleacher Nation is also on Twitter, and you should totally follow us:

Upcoming Calendar Events

There are no forthcoming calendar events

Today's birthdays

Photo

What does a "rebuilding" season look like?....Are we in one?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Oswego Chris

Oswego Chris

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 605 posts
  • Twitter:oswegochris23
  • LocationOswego, Illinois

Posted 04 June 2012 - 08:22 AM

I constantly hear people throw the "rebuilding" term when talking about the 2012 Cubs. I just wonder. What does a "rebuild" look like? Does it just mean sucking, and trading off assets? If so, then I don't see much building...I see it more as a dismantling or deconstruction, with rebuilding coming next year. Here are my reasons:

Soriano playing- The Tin-Man would have more range in left right now, my knees hurt watching him play. DL him and play Sappelt, then you might be building. No one wants him, so he is not being showcased. It's a wasted season in left.

Who is the core? Castro, Samardzija, then who? Garza if it was up to me(considering he is only 1 year older than Samardzija, just much more expensive)...I see no one else? Maybe Barney, LaHair...so we don't have any young guys "building" or improving. Maybe that changes after June...I would like to see Rizzo, Sappelt, Vitters all get a chance to play.

Where is the "Cubs Way?"If the Cubs way is going to preach seeing pitches, getting on base, strong fundamentals, it's not being done yet at the major league level. Madison Bumgarner strikes out 11 the other day?

Simply put, we Cub fans are really F$%ING PATIENT. However, THROW US A FRIGGIN' BONE!!! We need something to watch other than the disaster that is 2012.

#2 Joker

Joker

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • Twitter:@joeyoakes
  • LocationTennessee

Posted 04 June 2012 - 08:47 AM

Couldn't agree more. I think Cubs' management has to be experiencing the same feelings that we are with the current MLB roster. This current roster does not exemplify many (if any) of the characteristics that they hold in high praise. I fully expect the lineup to look a whole lot different in mid to late July. If only we can hold on to our sanity until that time.
The Outfield is Eating Andre Dawson!

#3 King Jeff

King Jeff

King of all Cubs fans!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,476 posts
  • Twitter:@peaceknuckle
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 04 June 2012 - 09:27 AM

I feel like this year is all about clearing the deck and starting over. It's now getting to the point where we will start to see some trades and some young guys come up. I like that they are taking their time listening to offers on all of their guys. They rushed the Zambrano trade to get closure, and I don't think that they want to have that kind of situation again where their hand is forced. If we are still dealing with all of these problems come the end of July/ early August, then I will join you guys with the pitch forks.

#4 Oswego Chris

Oswego Chris

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 605 posts
  • Twitter:oswegochris23
  • LocationOswego, Illinois

Posted 04 June 2012 - 11:12 AM

I don't necessarily have the pitchforks out...I just don't like calling it a rebuild...it's a burn down....

#5 King Jeff

King Jeff

King of all Cubs fans!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,476 posts
  • Twitter:@peaceknuckle
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 04 June 2012 - 11:24 AM

I don't necessarily have the pitchforks out...I just don't like calling it a rebuild...it's a burn down....

I agree that calling it a rebuild is misleading, but I've never heard anyone from the Cubs use that word. I think you are right that this is the burn down, and some piles of garbage take longer to burn than other.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).