9 replies to this topic

#1 Fishin Phil

Fishin Phil

Wally Pipp of Cubs Calendar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,034 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 05:31 AM

Realistically, I don't expect much from the Cubs next year. If they even sniff .500 I will be delirious.

I'm going to try to not focus on wins and losses next year, and just look for improvement.

Things I hope to see:
A GM with a long range plan.

A manager who doesn't just talk about fundamentals, but actually teaches them.

Developement of our young players.

Tighter defense.

Patience at the plate, and smarter situational hitting.

What will you be expecting/looking for?
Please don't feed the psychos.

#2 durbo55

durbo55

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Twitter:durbo11
  • Facebook:John Durbin Jr.

Posted 27 September 2011 - 05:54 AM

I would have to say some of the same things should be our goals moving into next year.

Better at bats is a MUST... we have look really bad in some good hitters counts this year..

Need to get another good starter in the rotation now that it appears Cashner will be out of the pen next year (which makes me believe Kerry Wood is probably gone next year)

Obviously a BIG Name GM would help moving forward. I vote for THEO!

Pay Albert Pujols or Prince Fielder WHATEVER money they want to join the club.

Brett Jackson takes over for Marlon Byrd in center... Keep Lahairs bat around next year.... Give aramis a Decent contract.... get rid of soriano and marmol....

I really dont think there isnt any reason we cant win the Central as long as the organization makes the right moves in the off season!

#3 Brett

Brett

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,640 posts
  • Twitter:BleacherNation
  • Facebook:BleacherNation

Posted 27 September 2011 - 07:31 AM

Very similar thoughts here. I want to see a long-range vision, and moves that are commensurate with that vision. I want to see Tom Ricketts working with the next GM, not against him. I want to see Soriano and Byrd (if by midseason) gone. I want to see young guys starting at 3B and 2B (and, no, Darwin Barney doesn't count). I want to see a patient approach at the plate (even if it doesn't mean walks, I want to see the Cubs near the top of the league in pitches per plate appearance). I want to see a young, cheap, good bullpen. I'd like to see Carlos Marmol dealt.

Overall: If the Cubs aren't going to compete, I'd like to see a bevy of young players, and I'd like to see the Cubs not spending money just so the team can have a fighting chance at .500.

#4 TWC

TWC

Hippie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,054 posts
  • Twitter:@thomaswconroy
  • LocationHMB, CA

Posted 27 September 2011 - 09:33 AM

My realistic hopes for 2012?

Well in a perfect world, I will have done the groundwork this fall for a killer vegetable garden, I will finally get around to installing the baseboard and trim in the basement, I will build the new back deck, and the Cubs will win the World Series.

In actuality, the latter is slightly more likely than any of the others.

#5 Brett

Brett

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,640 posts
  • Twitter:BleacherNation
  • Facebook:BleacherNation

Posted 27 September 2011 - 10:49 AM

My realistic hopes for 2012?

Well in a perfect world, I will have done the groundwork this fall for a killer vegetable garden, I will finally get around to installing the baseboard and trim in the basement, I will build the new back deck, and the Cubs will win the World Series.

In actuality, the latter is slightly more likely than any of the others.

Baseboards and trim are overrated.

#6 auggie1955

auggie1955

I'm New

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 11:47 AM

Realistically, I see next year's Cubs team being a lot like this year's Astros team. Bad!!! Ramirez and Zambrano will be leaving for sure. They also want to get rid of Soriano. They should get rid Byrd, but will they? Marmol has blown too many saves. That's just too many big contracts for a GM to unload. Add to that other than Fielder and Pujols, there aren't many bats in the 2012 FA market. The 2012 FA pitching market is even worse. There's CJ Wilson and Mark Buehrle.

#7 EQ76

EQ76

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 02:37 PM

I feel like the only one with more optimism for next year. I guess I view our team differently.. we lose because of poor coaching and GM-ing, mental errors, marmol blowing saves and playing like a bad luck team and we really are only a couple of good, right players away from being good again.

I fully believe that with the right GM and manager we could easily be 5-7 games better with the current roster. I'm sure Quade's costed us that many wins by himself. Marmol has blown 10 saves, shoot.. just take away half of those and we're better.

I think that a couple moves and we could be decent next year. No we shouldn't spend 130 mil for the sake of spending, but knowing that money's available means we can at least financially be able to pull off some moves. It means we can get Fielder or Pujols or CJ Wilson.. it means we can get absorb a higher end player for some prospects in a trade..

My expectations next year is that the Cards and Brewers will take a step backwards, the Pirates and Astros will continue to suck, the Reds will be an average team, and we could and should be better.

I expect Garza to have a good year.. for Wells to be better, for us to pick up a decent starter somehow this off season.. I expect Castro to keep getting better, for us to sign Fielder, for one or more of our young players to step up next year (Colvin, LaHair, Jackson, etc.) I expect Marmol to be better under a decent pitching coach or be traded so no more 10 blown saves..

We could easily be 10-12 games better next year which would make for a much better position heading into the 2013 FA class.

#8 Dave

Dave

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 427 posts
  • LocationSpringfield, MO

Posted 27 September 2011 - 05:25 PM

I hope Hendry and Fukudome will be gone.

#9 Fishin Phil

Fishin Phil

Wally Pipp of Cubs Calendar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,034 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 05:19 AM

Way to set the bar high Dave! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Please don't feed the psychos.

#10 Dave

Dave

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 427 posts
  • LocationSpringfield, MO

Posted 28 September 2011 - 06:01 AM

I'll be the least disappointed Cubs fan in the world!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).