The character of my weekend changed dramatically at about 12:45 ET on Friday. If you weren’t around, you missed a lot …
Friday, October 24
- Just before the Joe Maddon rumors broke, there was a surprising revelation by the Phillies – more on it later today – that they expect to rebuild over the next couple years. There are obvious Cole Hamels implications there.
- But, yeah, Maddon. So, mid-day, he opted out of his deal with the Rays, much to everyone’s surprise, and the Cubs rumors emerged. If you were around, your head was spinning. It all happened so fast, and it was hard to digest on the fly the gravity of what was going on. This stuff was – and still is – quite serious.
- Within an hour, the Cubs-related rumors were absolutely scorching hot.
- And a couple hours later, one report had the Cubs planning to speak to Maddon (despite the presence of current manager, Rick Renteria).
Saturday, October 25
- Maddon’s agent, Alan Nero, spoke on the radio about the situation, and said that the Cubs would be on the radar, even as Maddon was prepared to sit out managing for a year if it comes to that.
- There were a bunch of additional Maddon rumors and bits to discuss by mid-day Saturday.
- In non-Maddon news, the Cubs decided to send Daniel Lockhart to the AFL to replace Addison Russell.
Sunday, October 26
- The latest Maddon stuff, and there’s a ton more coming later today, too.
- The Cubs reportedly hadn’t spoken with Rick Renteria as of Saturday, but that doesn’t necessarily mean too much.
- And all of the excitement of the World Series and intrigue of the Maddon stuff came to an abrupt halt with the terrible news that Cardinals outfielder Oscar Taveras had been killed in the Dominican Republic in a car accident.