This is becoming something of a regular Monday morning thing, eh? It seems to be fairly useful, so I’ll keep doing it so long as there were a few interesting things over the weekend.
Friday, January 9
- Friday afternoon was pretty busy, with the Cubs making the Chris Denorfia signing official, and DFA’ing Mike Kickham to open up a 40-man spot.
- The Sporting News picked the Cubs to win the World Series in 2015, which doesn’t really mean anything, but it makes people say things.
- The latest on Cuban Yoan Moncada probably isn’t great for the Cubs.
- On Friday, I released six new BN shirts together with a sale (that’s still ongoing!).
Saturday, January 10
- If you were hoping the Cubs would land Ben Zobrist, your hopes were crushed under the weight of Billy Beane’s giant … ambition. The A’s picked up Zobrist, together with Yunel Escobar, from the Rays on Saturday.
- Some of the rooftops are suing the city of Chicago about the Wrigley renovation, and they modified their suit this week.
- A look at a couple bullpen issues, including where Edwin Jackson fits into the equation.
Sunday, January 11
- The Cubs reportedly signed a handful of minor league free agents in the last few days, including Chris Valaika, Taylor Teagarden, Andres Santiago, and Jorge De Leon.
- The Diamondbacks are in the market for a catcher, but they aren’t liking what they perceive to be the unreasonable asking prices (which could include from the Cubs on Welington Castillo).