It was a tough weekend, though, with sad news come a lot of nice memories. That, and a lot more that you may have missed this weekend …
Friday, January 23
- Friday saw the long-awaited release of the 2015 Cubs ZiPS projections. They don’t love the Cubs, but they don’t dislike them, either. In fact, ZiPS loves a few of the Cubs’ young players, and thinks the Cubs have exceptionally strong depth.
- The Cubs avoided arbitration with new center fielder Dexter Fowler.
- Dan Vogelbach was ranked the 8th best first base prospect in baseball.
- The 40-man roster is full once again, with the Cubs picking up righty Gonzalez Germen off of waivers.
- The day closed, unfortunately, with the passing of Ernie Banks. His loss was felt acutely throughout the weekend.
Saturday, January 24
- Indeed, I was pretty bummed Saturday morning, so I took a pass on the Bullets, and instead opted for a Lukewarm Stove – which actually turned out to be pretty robust.
Sunday, January 25
- I shared a bit about the only time I met Ernie Banks, and offered some of the memories/tributes out there.
- Joe Maddon headed down to Puerto Rico to meet with and observe Javier Baez as he plays in the playoffs there.