“Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.”
Yogi Berra passed away yesterday at the age of 90. Folks remember the quotes, because they were unique and enjoyable. But he was also an incredibly gifted baseball player.
- Matt Snyder wonders if the NL Central could wind up the best division ever at the top, given that three teams could win 95+ games. Consider this: if the Cardinals, Pirates, and Cubs hold onto the top three records in baseball, it would be the first time in history that has happened in a single division. A bit of a bummer for the Cubs and Pirates, but a cool distinction nevertheless. What makes it all the more remarkable to have three teams with such huge records is that they have to play each other a disproportionate amount of the time.
- In a season full of great moments and great images, two from last night are going to be right up there among my favorite pictures:
— Chicago Cubs (@Cubs) September 23, 2015
— ChicagoSports (@ChicagoSports) September 23, 2015
- More on Arrieta’s night, and season, later.
- Despite some earlier flippant remarks, as he later described them, Joe Maddon has no issue with the Cubs having concerts at Wrigley Field (CSN).
- Rian Watt takes a deep dive on, and interviews, Kyle Hendricks.
- Scoreboard Watching from this morning, if you missed it.
- Joe Maddon had some friends from the Columbus Zoo join the team yesterday before the game:
Warren from the Columbus zoo is joining us for Maddon's pre game presser. pic.twitter.com/Wh6l7fZb8u
— Sahadev Sharma (@sahadevsharma) September 22, 2015
— Roger Germann (@Rogmann) September 22, 2015
Just a normal day at the office. pic.twitter.com/GoaYLMMP5e
— Brittany Wood (@bwz428) September 22, 2015
It's zoo day at Wrigley pic.twitter.com/NWxaXKJXtH
— Anthony Rizzo (@ARizzo44) September 22, 2015