Today’s Chicago Cubs lineup is the first of the Spring that features a regular in every single spot in the order, 1 through 8 (yes, indeed, pitchers may be batting 9th now).
Feast your eyes on this:
- Dexter Fowler, CF
- Jason Heyward, RF
- Ben Zobrist, 2B
- Anthony Rizzo, 1B
- Kris Bryant, 3B
- Kyle Schwarber, C
- Jorge Soler, LF
- Addison Russell, SS
- Jason Hammel, P
The Cubs were close to having a full, regular lineup out there last Thursday, but Zobrist was scratched with an ingrown toenail. So here we are. March 22, and it’s really time to gear up.
Things I love about that lineup, in no particular order:
- Anthony Rizzo and Kris Bryant and Kyle Schwarber hitting back-to-back-to-back.
- That trio not showing up until the 4 through 6 spots in the lineup … and yet it’s pretty dang reasonable for them to be there.
- Guys like Miguel Montero and Javier Baez are somehow on the bench.
- Guys like Jorge Soler and Addison Russell have to bat at the bottom of this lineup.
- It does appear that Schwarber will be Jason Hammel’s personal catcher (I don’t quite “love” that in the same way I love the other things in this list, but I wanted to note it, and I do think it’s a good idea overall).