I love minor league baseball. I think that you simply can’t beat it for affordable family entertainment, with emphasis on the affordable. And while all aspects of the experience can be pretty awesome, one that stands out is the food. Over the past few years, minor league ballpark food has been moving into an inventive category unlike anything else.
And this season, the South Bend Cubs are stepping up their culinary game, and the new options sound delicious (if somewhat unhealthy). The first dish that catches the eye is the Porknado, described as:
“A waffle cone layered with hickory smoked pulled pork and home made mac and cheese, freshly made coleslaw, and topped with barbeque sauce.”
I’m really curious about the barbeque sauce they’re using for this. A sauce that can play well on pork AND macaroni and cheese AND a waffle cone is a really versatile sauce. I’m also curious how people will eat it. And by people, I mean me, just as soon as I can get to South Bend.
The dish that really sounds good, though, is the Deep Fried Mac and Cheese sandwich. Just imagine:
“Macaroni mixed with house made beer cheese, topped with crispy bacon, another layer of american cheese, Tabasco marinated tomatoes on Texas Toast, and then deep fried.”
House made cheese and bacon and more cheese and deep fried. Yep. I’ll be trying this one day.
And then we have the Studebaker Special. Bacon topped donuts are so normal now that the Cubs are upping the ante with candied jalapeños and jalapeño jelly. It sounds messy, but in tasty sort of way.
- Drew Rucinski: 6 IP, 3 R, 5 H, 1 BB, 6 K
- Spencer Patton: 1 IP, 3 K
- Willson Contreras: 1 for 3, 2B, CS
- Ryan Kalish: 0 for 2, 2 BB
- Logan Watkins: 1 for 3, 1 BB
- Erick Leal: 5 IP, 3 R, 5 H, 2 BB, 2 K
- Jordan Minch: 2 IP, 1 H, 2 BB, 2 K
- Yasiel Balaguert: 3 for 4
- Shawon Dunston Jr.: 2 for 4, 3B
- Ian Happ: 1 for 4, 3B
- Gleyber Torres: 0 for 4, 4K
Low A: South Bend Cubs
This game was postponed due to snow.
- A familiar face will be starting against Iowa tomorrow: Ivan Pineyro. Pineyro (along with shortstop Elliot Soto) went the other way when the Cubs acquired Dan Haren last summer.
- Jen-Ho Tseng takes the mound for the Smokies tonight. We’ll be keeping a close eye on how he handles Double A this season.
- The last time Jake Stinnett took the mound, it was in an exhibition game and he was dominant. Today he takes the mound in a game that counts. If you only watch one minor league game this week, this might be a good candidate.
- Mother Nature wrecked our first chance to see Adbert Alzolay on MiLB.tv yesterday. Fortunately for us, he’s the scheduled starter again today.