Gee, nothing at all happened this weekend …
I kid. Catch yourself up.
Friday, July 22
- Friday’s Bullets included discussion of a possible rule to limit pitching changes in a game (and why that’s bad).
- Michael wrote about new Cubs lefty Mike Montgomery, and what there is to know.
- Some Cubs prospect notes including a couple young pitching studs.
- The Cubs are being connected by many to Josh Reddick, but there was also a strange Jay Bruce rumor.
- The Cardinals are creeping up on the Cubs, but have actually had very bad luck.
- Lots from the rumor mill, which really started to pick up on Friday.
- Chris Coghlan and Jorge Soler are rehabbing at AA Tennessee.
- Dexter Fowler and Mike Montgomery arrived, and Albert Almora and Spencer Patton were sent to AAA Iowa.
- Dexter Fowler had a huge game in his return from the DL, and the Cubs beat the Brewers.
Saturday, July 23
- Among Saturday’s Bullets, it sure is nice to have Dexter Fowler back.
- Willson Contreras has a ridiculous arm, even in the outfield.
- Baseball America updated its top 10 Cubs prospects for midseason.
- The latest from the Lukewarm Stove, including continued connections between the Cubs and Josh Reddick.
- The Cubs didn’t get much going against the Brewers and dropped Saturday’s game.
- Chris Sale was scratched on Saturday night, and people went nuts with speculation … except the real story was even more nuts.
Sunday, July 24
- Much more on the crazy Chris Sale story, including whether he could be traded to the Cubs.
- Joe Nathan arrived for the Cubs, and Adam Warren was optioned to AAA Iowa to make room.
- Addison Russell had to leave Sunday’s game with a heel contusion.
- The Cubs came back in a big way and beat the Brewers to win this weekend’s series.
- And, of course, the biggy: according to multiple reports, the Cubs and Yankees are working toward finalizing a trade that would send Aroldis Chapman to the Cubs for Gleyber Torres and more as-of-yet unidentified prospect(s). Stay tuned. (UPDATE: It’s happening.)