After several interesting weeks of three minor league first half division title and playoff slot chases, it turns out that only Myrtle Beach qualifies for the postseason.
And the best part for Cubs’ fans is that Myrtle Beach’s playoff run was fueled largely by their pitching. A big three has emerged in the Pelicans’ starting rotation: Adbert Alzolay, Tom Hatch, and Justin Steele. These three are increasingly difficult to beat and seem to be getting better each week. In every case an argument could be made for a rapid promotion to Tennessee.
This is the season we were really expecting to see some breakout pitching peformances that could impact the Cubs near term future, both in terms of options at the trade deadline and future members of the team in Chicago. We have a lot of baseball to be played yet, but so far it looks like we are getting those breakout pitchers. That is very good news.
- Zach Hedges: 5 IP, 6 R, 7 H, 2 BB
- Andury Acevedo: 2 IP, 1 R, 2 H, 1 BB, 1 K
- Jacob Hannemann: 2 for 4, 2B
- Jeimer Candelario: 2 for 4, 2 2B
- Victor Caratini: 2 for 3, BB
- James Pugliese: 3.2 IP, 4 H, 2 BB, 3 K
- Brad Markey: 3 IP, 1 R, 2 H, 3 K
- Andrew Ely: 1 for 4, 2B
- David Bote: 1 for 4, 3B
- Jason Vosler: 1 for 2, HR
- Trey Martin: 2 for 4
- Michael Rucker: 6 IP, 2 R (1 ER), 3 H, 2 BB, 6 K
- Jordan Minch: 1 IP, 1 K
- James Norwood: 1 IP, 1 K
- P.J. Higgins: 0 for 2, 2 BB
- Eloy Jimenez: 1 for 4, 2B
- Trent Giambrone: 1 for 4, 2B
- Dylan Cease: 2.1 IP, 2 R, 3 H, 2 BB, 2 K
- Tyler Peyton: 4.2 IP, 3 R, 5 H, 1 BB, 6 K
- Zack Short: 1 for 3, 2B, 2 BB
- Vimael Machin: 1 for 4, 2B, BB
- Alberto Mineo: 2 for 4
- Yeiler Peguero: 1 for 3, 2B
- Roberto Caro: 1 for 4, 3B
- Jesus Camargo: 3 IP, 4 R (2 ER), 2 H, 1 BB, 2 K
- Andry Rondon: 2 IP, 1 R, 2 H, 4 K
- Jhon Romero: 2 IP, 1 H, 1 BB, 2 K
- Gustavo Polanco: 2 for 4, 2B
- Aramis Ademan: 0 for 4, SB
- The Smokies first half division title hopes ended when they gave up three runs in the top of the ninth and lost to Chattanooga. Tennessee can still make the playoffs, but they will need to win the second half division title to do so.
- Like the Smokies, the South Bend Cubs slumped at the worst possible time. Their loss last night killed their chances of making the playoffs in the first half. They can still get there, but they will need to finish in first or second in the division in the second half.
- Cease was pulled after 48 pitches, but I would not worry about that too much. The Cubs have been cautious with him since he came back from the ankle injury, and I suspect he is on a tighter pitch count right now.
- Hatch’s recent run has been stellar:
Cubs pitching prospect Thomas Hatch (High-A), last 5 starts: 0.89 ERA, 30.1 IP, 33 K, 7 BB, 24 H. Very dominant stretch. 3rd Rd pick '16.
— Brett Taylor (@BleacherNation) June 17, 2017