With a four-gamer against the Nationals in Washington on deck, you would have liked to have seen the Cubs take three of four from the Marlins. Unfortunately that’s a tough feat on the road against any team, and the Cubs’ inconsistent bats sank them …
Friday, June 23
- A draft bonus update and a look at Mark Zagunis’s big league future.
- Friday was the anniversary of The Sandberg Game.
- A report linked the Cubs to Johnny Cueto, but there are a lotta hurdles in a trade like that.
- Ian Happ and Addison Russell had a huge game and it helped blow up their season performance.
- The Cubs’ focus on the trade market figures to be pitching, but they’re not ruling anything out.
- The hope is that Kyle Schwarber can reset mentally and mechanically with his move to Iowa.
- To that end, Kyle Schwarber was going to take the whole weekend off before heading to Iowa.
- Jake Arrieta is the reverse-Samson. He had a good reason for cutting off his hair.
- Lots of Cubs prospect notes, including the relative explosion of quality pitching prospects in the organization.
- The Cubs got another good pitching performance from John Lackey, but the bats were totally silent.
Saturday, June 24
- A soon-to-be Cubs pitching prospect dominated in the College World Series.
- The problem with hit-and-runs, slap fights, and much more in Saturday’s Bullets.
- Updating various Cubs injuries.
- Anthony Rizzo might want to do the Home Run Derby this year, but Kris Bryant is likely to pass.
- The Marlins put up a three spot early, but the Cubs battled back and won Saturday’s game.
Sunday, June 25
- The Arizona Rookie League is now underway, and many Cubs prospects are getting things going.
- Brett Anderson is headed to AA Tennessee for a rehab stint.
- I was very pleased to find that Ian Happ’s explosion in June is not merely an arbitrary thing, but is largely tied to him starting to close a big hole in his game.
- Some good signals on Kyle Hendricks, a good performance from Jon Lester, and more in Sunday’s Bullets.
- The Cubs dropped the series finale to the Marlins when the bats couldn’t convert numerous opportunities. Moreover, Addison Russell left early due to shoulder discomfort.
- Jeimer Candelario is coming up to the Cubs.