All season long the South Bend Cubs have seen selling some of their unique themed jerseys via an online auction, and right now there are some remarkable options available.
First off, if you haven’t scored a Han Solo jersey, it looks like there are four left. These are among the more understated Star Wars themed jerseys we’ve seen lately, and could be a solid pick up if the crazier look just isn’t you.
If the crazier look is you, then you are in luck. The Christmas in July jerseys are now on auction, and these things are gloriously awful in a way that only a minor league jersey can be. There are only non-player numbers left for the Han Solo look, but there are player numbers still on the site for the Christmas in July snowflake and snowman sweater themed style.
Proceeds from the auctions head to charity, so you even have a good excuse to wear… ok, maybe not wear, but at least to buy… one of these distinctive pieces of memorabilia. The current round of auctions ends in five days; good luck!
- Jen-Ho Tseng: 4.2 IP, 6 R (3 ER), 6 H, 2 BB, 4 K
- Pierce Johnson: 1.2 IP, 1 H, 3 K
- Victor Caratini: 1 for 3, 2B, BB
Tennessee 7, Jackson 3 in ten innings
The Smokies scored in the seventh to force extras, scored in the eighth, and finally broke out for four runs in the tenth.
- Adbert Alzolay: 5 IP, 2 R, 3 H, 3 BB, 2 K
- Ryan McNeil: 1 IP, 1 K
- David Bote: 1 for 5, HR
- Trey Martin: 1 for 3, HR, 2 BB
- Carlos Penalver: 3 for 5
High A: Myrtle Beach Pelicans
Myrtle Beach was rained out.
- Bryan Hudson: 5 IP, 2 H, 3 K
- Marc Huberman: 2 IP, 1 BB, 4 K
- Luis Ayala: 3 for 5, SB
- Darryl Wilson: 2 for 5, HR, SB
- Chris Pieters: 2 for 5, 2 2B, SB
- Kevonte Mitchell: 1 for 2, 2 BB, SB
- Andruw Monasterio: 3 for 5, 2B
- Jose Albertos: 5 IP, 1 H, 1 BB, 6 K
- Keegan Thompson: 3 IP, 2 R, 1 H, 1 BB, 3 K
- Jhonny Bethencourt: 2 for 4
- Austin Filiere: 1 for 3, HR, BB
- Miguel Amaya: 2 for 4, 2B
- Faustino Carrera: 5.2 IP, 2 R, 5 H, 1 BB, 6 K
- Mitch Stophel: 2.1 IP, 1 H, 1 BB, 5 K
- Jose Gutierrez: 3 for 5, 2B
- Yonathan Perlaza: 1 for 3, 2B
- Jonathan Sierra: 2 for 5
- Nelson Velazquez: 2 for 4, 2B, BB, SB
- Kevin Zamudio: 2 for 4, 2B
- Fidel Mejia: 2 for 4, 2B
- Luis Vazquez: 2 for 4
- Some of the South Bend jerseys up for auction were worn by players on the Mid-Season edition of the Bleacher Nation Top 40 Prospects List. We’ve covered the sixteen prospects at the bottom of that list now, so now would be a great time to catch up if you’ve missed the first two installments.
- Three pitchers who are key to the Cubs’ ability to re-establish their farm system and perhaps one day restock their rotation from within pitched yesterday, and all three results were good. Adbert Alzolay started for the Smokies, Bryan Hudson turned in another good start for South Bend, and Jose Albertos pitched excellently for Eugene. These are the sorts of days the Cubs are going to need a lot of over the next few years.
- Speaking of the farm system, it is official that the Cubs have a bottom three system in all baseball. That’s not entirely a bad thing due to the youngness of the major league roster, but it definitely isn’t a good thing when you look at all the pitching holes the Cubs will have to fill this winter without the benefit of a strong farm system from which to make trades.