A couple days ago I mistakenly reported that the Arizona Cubs had won the Arizona Rookie League title. Turns out that the championship round was a best of three, not a single game as I thought, and they hadn’t won it all quite yet.
Now they have. The Cubs beat the Giants last night to take the best of three series two games to one. The Arizona Cubs are now, for sure this time, the first championship team in the farm system in 2017. This also means that the Cubs have had at least one championship team in the organization every year going back to 2013.
Also last night, Eugene advanced to the championship series in the Northwest League and Myrtle Beach finally took the field for their first playoff game. Including the major league team, the Cubs could still pick up three more championships this season.
- Michael Rucker: 3.1 IP, 4 R, 6 H, 3 K
- Kyle Miller: 3.1 IP, 2 H, 1 BB
- Dave Berg: 1.1 IP, 1 H, 1 K
- Vimael Machin: 3 for 4, 2B
- Tyler Alamo: 1 for 3, 2B, BB
- Roberto Caro: 2 for 4, 2B
- Jesus Camargo: 4 IP, 3 R, 4 H, 3 BB, 7 K
- Ricky Tyler Thomas: 3 IP, 1 BB, 5 K
- Luis Aquino: 2 IP, 1 R, 2 H, 3 K
- Zach Davis: 1 for 5, 3B
- Jhonny Bethencourt: 3 for 4, 2B, SB
- Miguel Amaya: 2 for 4, 2B
- Brandon Hughes: 2 for 3, HR, BB
- Chris Singleton: 1 for 4, 2B
- Emilio Ferrebus: 2 IP, 1 R, 2 H, 1 BB, 1 K
- Jeffrey Passantino: 3 IP, 2 H, 2 K
- Jose Gutierrez: 2 for 5, BB
- Jonathan Sierra: 2 for 5, 2B
- Nelson Velazquez: 2 for 5, BB
- Marcus Mastrobuoni: 2 for 3, 2 BB
- Delvin Zinn: 2 for 4, 2B, BB
- Luis Vazquez: 4 for 5
- Willson Contreras was the starting catcher for Myrtle Beach yesterday. He made three trips to the plate, went 0 for 2 with a hit by pitch and a strikeout, and then was pulled from the game. He is scheduled to play in the first game of the doubleheader tonight.
- The first round of the Carolina League playoffs ends today. Thanks to the looming hurricane, what was a best of five series has been cut back to a best of three. That means Myrtle Beach heads into tonight one game away from elimination. Game Two of the series will be started by Alec Mills (rehab start), and Game Three (if we get that far) by Duncan Robinson. The Pelicans will be at home.
- Eugene swept their way through their opening series, a best of three with Hillsboro. Now they have a day off to get ready for the Northwest League Championship Series against Vancouver starting on Saturday.
- The Cubs’ organization half decade of championships looks like this: 2013 – Daytona (High A), 2014 – Kane County (Low A), 2015 – Myrtle Beach (High A), 2016 – Chicago (MLB), Myrtle Beach (High A), Eugene (SS A), 2017 – Arizona (R), and maybe a couple more.