The weekend was without a major free agent signing (what else is new?), but there is a whole lot going down behind the scenes to discuss.
Friday, January 19
- A very cool development down on the farm, as the Cubs have added a second rookie league team.
- The Cubs have announced their Spring Training broadcast schedule.
- The pace-of-play fight is kicking up, and here are the details of what the league wants and what the players rejected.
- The Cubs have reportedly signed a speedy outfielder to a minor league deal.
- A huge fight is brewing in baseball, and this slow offseason is just the start.
- Mike Matheny sure does like to talk about how underrated his Cardinals are … every single year.
- A trio of concerts are coming to Wrigley Field.
- The Cardinals sent Randal Grichuk to the Blue Jays.
- The latest from the rumor mill to wind down Friday, including the Cardinals’ next moves, Harper’s other options, and much more.
Saturday, January 20
- Addison Russell is working specifically to stay healthy this season, and hopefully that bat breaks out.
- Jason Heyward has the confidence going, and predicts that he, himself, will be the Cubs’ 2018 MVP. Is that even possible?
- We’re still trying to parse Yu Darvish’s market, including the three teams that “seem” still in it.
Sunday, January 21
- A lot more discussion in the Bullets on Sunday about the factors playing into where the market stands right now, including Scott Boras’s prominent role.
- The Brewers reportedly were close to an unspecified trade Sunday night, but, since this is THIS offseason, nothing actually happened.
- Unrelatedly(?), the Brewers reportedly made an offer to Yu Darvish.