Last night in Double A, guy who could play a part in the Cubs future came up big.
Matt Swarmer… yes, RHP Matt Swarmer, who did you think I was talking about?… threw six shutout innings, allowing just two hits and striking out five. This was Swarmer’s longest Double A start (and just his sixth at that level), and was the second time this season Swarmer had gone at least six innings without giving up a run.
Swarmer has been a fast-moving prospect since being picked up by the Cubs in 19th round in 2016, and he’s increasingly looking like the kind of prospect who could be a future fourth or fifth starter. If he continues to have success in Double A, Swarmer could set himself up to get a shot at a seat on the Iowa pitching shuttle to and fro the big leagues sometime next season.
And as for that other guy in Double A last night, Kris Bryant homered as part of a very good rehab start.
Triple A: Iowa Cubs
Iowa is off for the Triple A All Star break.
- Matt Swarmer: 6 IP, 2 H, 5 K
- Charcer Burks: 2 for 3, 2B, BB, SB
- Kris Bryant: 2 for 4, HR
- Zack Short: 1 for 4, 2B
- Trent Giambrone: 2 for 4, 2B
- Vimael Machin: 1 for 4, HR
- Alex Lange: 5 IP, 3 R, 6 H, 3 BB, 4 K
- Ryan Kellogg: 3 IP, 3 H, 1 K
- D.J. Wilson: 2 for 4
- Roberto Caro: 2 for 3, 2B, 2 SB
- Tyler Thomas: 6 IP, 3 R, 6 H, 5 K
- Enrique De Los Rios: 2 IP, 3 K
- Zach Davis: 1 for 5, 2B
- Rafael Narea: 2 for 4, SB
- Miguel Amaya: 2 for 4
- Michael Cruz: 1 for 3, 2B, BB
- Austin Filiere: 3 for 4
- Ryan Williams: 5 IP, 3 R (2 ER), 5 H, 1 BB, 3 K
- Jake Steffens: 1 IP, 1 K
- Nelson Velazquez: 2 for 4
Rookie: AZL Cubs 1
Cubs 1 had the day off.
Rookie: AZL Cubs 2
Cubs 2 was rained out.
- After reports that the Blue Jays had been scouting Mark Zagunis (among others), I took another look at his profile with the idea of seeing just how valuable he might be in trade. Verdict: I was probably not giving him enough credit. His OBP of .391 is darn near elite, and it is backed by solid walk (15.0%) and strikeout (19.7%) rates. The problem, as it has often been, is a lack of power (.073 ISO), but if a team thinks they can find that power elsewhere on the diamond, then Zagunis could give them a solid leadoff option in left or a quality option as a bat off the bench.
- The fact that his arm limits him pretty much to just left cuts his attractiveness somewhat, but he is a solid prospect who could provide immediate value in the right situation. Given that he is completely blocked with the Cubs, I’d be more surprised if he isn’t included in a deal soon.
- To give you an idea just how consistent Alex Lange has been this season, yesterday was the first time all year he has given up as many as three walks. He’s now thrown 79.1 innings over 15 starts.
- You love BB-8. I love BB-8. Everyone who loves things joyful and fun loves BB-8. And now, thanks to the South Bend Cubs, you can combine your love of BB-8 with your love of Cubs prospects. South Bend is auctioning off their BB-8 themed Star Wars jerseys for charity. If you want some signed memorbilia from the next wave of Cubs prospects (including Miguel Amay, Rollie Lacy, and Javier Assad, among others), this is a good opportunity.
- There are two Iowa Cubs on the Pacific Coast League All-Star roster, and one of them is manager Marty Pevey. The other is left-handed reliever Alberto Baldonado. The All Star Game will be Wednesday night in Columbus, OH.