Sweep, baby. Sweep. I like sweeps. If you missed anything else this weekend, catch yourself up here …
Friday, July 13
- The Cubs are pulling ahead in the NL and other Bullets.
- On the one-year anniversary of the Jose Quintana trade, we wonder: still a good move, right?
- Cubs top pick Nico Hoerner made an incredible – dare I say, El-Mago-like – catch.
- The Mets may soon have a top position to fill in their front office, and one report suggested they may come after Cubs execs.
- The Phillies might be getting aggressive on Manny Machado.
- The rock-star status of Javy Baez.
- Brian Duensing returned from the disabled list.
- Javy Baez made a ridiculous back toss play early in the game against the Padres to keep things from getting out of hand.
- The Cubs kicked off their weekend series with a comeback win against the Padres, featuring Anthony Rizzo tying the game with the Cubs down to their last strike, and Javy Baez running wild for the win in the 10th.
Saturday, July 14
- With the win, the Cubs moved into sole possession of first place!
- Javy Baez is so unbelievable that it’s completely believable.
- The latest from the rumor mill, including the Orioles taking their time with Machado, the Giants making Jeff Samardzija available, and much more.
- Fresh off a doubleheader sweep by the Pirates, the Brewers might make a renewed push for Manny Machado.
- The Cardinals surprised folks by firing Mike Matheny late at night on Saturday.
- The Cubs clubbed the Padres to take game two of the weekend set, including dingers by Kyle Schwarber and Ian Happ and Javy Baez.
Sunday, July 15
- Cubs second round pick Cole Roederer hit his first professional homer.
- Javy Baez is having a historic season, the Cubs have a top offense without all the dingers, and other Bullets.
- Speaking of Baez, he’s doing incredible things all over, including at the plate.
- The Cubs are connected to Orioles reliever Zach Britton, who is trying to turn things around.
- The Brewers not only lost again and got swept by the Pirates, they did so in crushing fashion.
- The Cubs finished off the Padres for a sweep, and closed out the first half as the best team in the National League.