The Cubs took down the Cardinals this weekend (three outta five ain’t bad), picked up a new reliever, and factored prominently into other reliever rumors.
Friday, July 20
- Late Thursday night, so it was *almost* Friday, the Cubs traded for reliever Jesse Chavez.
- Willson Contreras’s All-Star experience with his family was beautiful.
- Who the Cubs lost in the Jesse Chavez deal.
- Love for Victor Caratini and Jason Heyward and other Bullets.
- Brandon Morrow hit the disabled list after an MRI revealed a biceps issue.
- Yu Darvish figures to be out at least a few more weeks, which at least provides clarity going into the Trade Deadline.
- The latest from the rumor mill, with bits on Chris Archer, the Cardinals selling, buyers of starting pitchers, Jacob deGrom, and more.
- The Cubs got smoked by the Cardinals in Friday’s game.
- Although the Cubs are high on Zach Britton, they were reportedly also considering Jeurys Familia before he was dealt elsewhere a day later.
- Speaking of Britton, any interest in a Britton-Dylan Bundy combo deal?
Saturday, July 21
- The Cubs had a minor leaguer hit for the cycle, and they’ve got a 16-year-old hitting well in rookie ball.
- A deeper dive on new Cubs reliever Jesse Chavez.
- Lots of roster moves in the bullpen for the Cubs this weekend.
- Jon Lester isn’t all about that data, but that’s not necessarily a problem.
- In the first game of Saturday’s double header, the Cubs took down the Cardinals.
- It featured an absurd play by Javy Baez.
- The Cubs are reportedly “deeply involved” in the Zach Britton trade talks., which made even more sense after the A’s traded for Jeurys Familia.
- The Cubs lost a late lead and couldn’t take Saturday night’s game.
- Javy Baez was ejected in the game for ridiculous reasons, and then Joe Maddon got the boot.
Sunday, July 22
- Luke took a look at the Cubs’ Dominican Summer League prospects.
- Rotation disruption, Rizzo’s breakout, Josh Hader’s standing ovation, and other Bullets.
- Among the teams talking to the Orioles about Zach Britton, the Cubs and Astros are said to be trying to “match up prospects.”
- Lefty Drew Smyly threw a simulated game at Wrigley Field.
- The Mets reportedly really are engaging in discussions on their aces, Jacob deGrom and Noah Syndergaard.
- The Cubs closed out the weekend by taking the five-game series from the Cardinals (their first five-game series win against the Cardinals since … hmm … a certain NLDS that basically ended the Cardinals reign of terror … ).