The Eugene Emeralds sent two pitchers to the Norwest League All-Star Game yesterday. Lefty Brailyn Marquez, you are probably familiar with. If not, you will be. This tall, lanky lefty with a mid-90s fastball and a nice supporting arsenal is already one of the best pitching prospects in the farm system.
The other pitcher was Sean Barry, the 21st round pick in 2017. He’s having a nice year for Eugene. In 23 innings of relief he has a K/9 of 9.39 and a groundball rate of 56.9% in support of a 1.17 ERA.
- Jen-Ho Tseng: 3 IP, 6 R, 7 H, 3 BB, 1 K
- Kyle Ryan: 2 IP, 1 R, 1 H, 1 BB, 1 K
- Chris Coghlan: 4 for 5, 2 2B
- Stephen Bruno: 2 for 5, 2B
- Taylor Davis: 2 for 4, 2B, BB
- Bijan Rademacher: 1 for 4, 2B
Double A: Tennessee Smokies
Tennessee had the day off.
- Tyson Miller: 6 IP, 3 R, 7 H, 2 BB, 5 K
- Jared Young: 2 for 3
- Roberto Caro: 1 for 3, 2B
Low A: South Bend Cubs
South Bend had the day off.
Short Season A: Eugene Emeralds
Pioneer League All Stars 13, Northwest League All Stars 10
Lots of offense in this All Star game.
- Brailyn Marquez: 0.2 IP, 2 H, 2 K
- Sean Barry: 0.0 IP, 3 R (2 ER), 2 H, 1 BB
- Bailey Clark: 1 IP, 2 K
- Maikel Aguiar: 3 IP, 1 H, 4 K
- Edmond Americaan: 2 for 4
- Jonathan Soto: 2 for 4
- Orian Nunez: 1 for 3, 2B
- Chris Allen: 2 IP, 1 R, 3 H, 3 K
- Allen Webster: 1 IP, 1 H, 2 K
- Elias Herrera: 4 IP, 1 H, 3 K
- D.J. Artis: 1 for 4, BB, SB
- Cole Roederer: 1 for 4, 3B, BB
- Brennen Davis: 2 for 4, BB, SB
- If the Cubs can find room for him on the 40-man roster, Taylor Davis could be the Cubs third catcher once September rolls around. He got the call last year, and he’s looked good enough with the bat to warrant the call this year. His line currently reads .274/.353/.355 with three homers.
- When he is healthy, Bailey Clark has some of the best stuff in the farm system, and before he went on the DL in early June he was having a pretty good year (2.93 ERA, 32 K in 27.2 IP). Yesterday was his first rehab start in Mesa; he struck out two in an inning of work.
- AZL Cubs 2 are right now just a game and a half back of first in the Arizona League Central. If they manage to catch the Indians ahead of them and win the central in the second half, then a third of the six teams in the Arizona League Playoffs would be Cubs. AZL Cubs 1 are already in thanks to winning the first half in the East.
- If your collection is missing an autographed Lee Smith baseball card, MiLB Auctions have one to bid on for the next week.