Jared Young has been one of the biggest surprises and best stories in the farm system this season, and last night he struck again. His opposite field shot was one of three for the Pelicans on the night, Young’s 15th on the year (5th in High A), and it was definitely a thing of beauty.
That homer, as well as the opposite field corner shot from Zach Davis and shot to straight away left by Andruw Monasterio, are all in this highlight package:
- Trevor Clifton: 5.2 IP, 1 R, 2 H, 1 BB, 5 K
- Cory Mazzoni: 1 IP, 1 H, 1 K
- Dillon Maples: 1 IP, 2 BB, 3 K
- Chris Coghlan: 1 for 5, HR
- Stephen Bruno: 2 for 4
- Mark Zagunis: 2 for 3
- Michael Rucker: 6 IP, 1 R, 1 H, 1 BB, 4 K
- Zach Hedges: 2 IP, 1 R, 2 H, 1 K
- Zack Short: 2 for 2, HR, 2 BB
- Yasiel Balaguert: 1 for 4, HR
- Cory Abbott: 5 IP, 2 R, 4 H, 1 BB, 4 K
- Erick Leal: 3 IP, 2 R, 2 H, 2 BB, 3 K
- Aramis Ademan: 1 for 2, BB, SB
- Jared Young: 1 for 4, HR
- Andruw Monasterio: 1 for 4, HR
- Roberto Caro: 2 for 4, 2B, 2 SB
- Zach Davis: 1 for 3, HR
- Brendon Little: 4.2 IP, 3 R (2 ER), 8 H, 2 BB, 5 K
- Ben Hecht: 2.1 IP, 1 H, 3 BB, 1 K
- Manuel Rodriguez: 1.1 IP, 2 BB, 2 K
- Jose Gutierrez: 0 for 3, 2 BB
- Christian Donahue: 0 for 2, 2 BB
- Miguel Amaya: 3 for 4, 2B, BB
- Clayton Daniel: 2 for 5
- Paul Richan: 3 IP, 2 H, 1 BB, 2 K
- Cam Sanders: 1 IP, 1 BB, 2 K
- Andy Weber: 1 for 4, 2B
- Luke Reynolds: 2 for 4, 2B
- Caleb Knight: 2 for 4, 2B, HR
- Fernando Kelli: 1 for 3, SB
- Bailey Clark: 1 IP, 1 H, 1 BB, 2 K
- Danny Hultzen: 1 IP, 2 K
- Yunior Perez: 3 IP, 1 H, 5 K
- Niels Stone: 2 IP, 2 H, 3 K
- Fauris Guerrero: 2 IP, 2 H
- Edmond Americaan: 1 for 4, 3B
- Christopher Morel: 2 for 4
- Yonathan Perlaza: 1 for 3, HR
Rookie: AZL Cubs 2
Cubs Two had the day off.
- If you watched the highlight video in the intro, you saw Myrtle Beach breaking out the nostalgia with their next promotion. A double play combo bobblehead featuring Ian Happ and Gleyber Torres is cool, but you only saw the real thing if you were paying attention to the Cubs’ A ball games prior to late July, 2016.
- Zack Short, Tennessee’s shortstop and Number 14 on the Top 40, is hitting .308/.471/.654 with three homers over eight games in August.
- The only walk allowed by Arizona was given up by the rehabbing Bailey Clark in the first inning.
- Danny Hultzen also made a rehab appearance in that game, his third overall and second scoreless.
- It started as one of the cooler promotional jersey nights for Myrtle Beach (coming up on August 19), but Deaf Awareness Night has been so popular for the Pelicans that they have expanded it dramatically. Now other attractions in Myrtle Beach are joining in, including hotels to accommodate folks traveling in for what is now the Deaf Awareness Weekend of Fun. And that’s not all. The demand for the American Sign Language script Pelicans jerseys the team will wear that night has gotten so high the team has added a section of hats and shirts to their online store to carry items in that style.