Yesterday was a tale of two homers. Jason Vosler launched a grand slam for Iowa in the first inning, and Wladimir Galindo hit a solo shot for Myrtle Beach in the ninth inning. Iowa and Myrtle Beach both won.
And since we can’t talk about homers without showing homers, here is the Myrtle Beach highlight reel, staring Wladimir Galindo (and some pretty good pitching):
- Luke Farrell: 5 IP, 1 H, 3 BB, 7 K
- Craig Brooks: 1 IP, 1 H, 1 K
- Chris Coghlan: 2 for 4, 2B, BB, SB
- Kris Bryant: 1 for 2, 2 BB
- Mike Freeman: 2 for 4, BB
- Jason Vosler: 1 for 5, HR
- Jacob Hannemann: 4 for 4, 2 2B
- Keegan Thompson: 3.2 IP, 8 R, 10 H, 4 K
- Brad Markey: 1.1 IP, 1 H, 1 K
- Preston Morrison: 1 IP, 1 K
- Zack Short: 1 for 5, HR
- Trent Giambrone: 1 for 4, BB, SB
- Eddy Martinez: 1 for 3, 3B, BB
- P.J. Higgins: 2 for 5
- Charcer Burks: 1 for 4, 2B
- Tyson Miller: 5.1 IP, 1 R, 4 H, 3 BB, 5 K
- Tyler Peyton: 1.2 IP, 2 H, 1 BB, 1 K
- Yapson Gomez: 2 IP and a line of zeros
- Zach Davis: 1 for 4, 2B
- Wladimir Galindo: 3 for 4, HR
- Aramis Ademan: 1 for 2, 2B, BB
Low A: South Bend Cubs
South Bend had the day off.
Short Season A: Eugene Emeralds
Eugene had the day off.
Rookie: AZL Cubs 1
AZL Cubs 1 had the day off.
- I should have opened this article with a video of Jason Vosler’s grand slam as well, but despite Iowa being at home last night, there are no videos of it yet. Boo.
- Duane Underwood had another less than stellar relief appearance. He pitched two innings and gave up two runs on three hits while walking one and striking out three.
- According to the box score, Yapson Gomez only needed 14 pitches to pitch his two hitless innings for the Pelicans. If that is accurate, that is some very impressive efficiency.
- AZL Cubs 2 have become the first team to be removed from the Daily. Their season is over, and they are not part of the playoffs, so they are no longer listed.
- AZL Cubs 1 plays in the Arizon Rookie League Semifinal tonight against the Rangers. The other semifinal will be Indians 2 against the Dodgers.
- Eugene goes into Salem-Keizer tonight tied with the Volcanoes for the second half playoff slot in the South Division. Both teams are four games under .500 in the second half, but since first half winner Hillsboro is running away with the second half title (they are 23-9), the second playoff slot will go to the second best second half record. That makes this series one of the biggest of the season for Eugene.