The AZL Cubs 1 have a chance to be the first team in the Cubs organization to win back-to-back championships since Myrtle Beach did it in 2015 and 2016. The Cubs beat the Rangers last night in ten innings in the single game semifinal round of the Arizona Rookie League playoffs.
The Cubs trailed most of the game, but in the sixth scored four times to tie the game up at six each. That was the score when the game went into the tenth. The Rangers converted the awful free baserunner rule into a run in the top of the tenth by means of a sac bunt and a later throwing error, but the Cubs quickly tied it with a one out double in their end of the tenth. The Rangers intentionally walked a guy to set up the force at every base, and then one out later, unintentionally walked home the winning run for the Cubs.
The AZL Dodgers also won in the semifinal round, so the Cubs and Dodgers will now meet in a best of three series starting tonight.
- Trevor Clifton: 5 IP, 4 H, 1 BB, 5 K
- Brian Duensing: 1.2 IP, 1 K
- Dillon Maples: 0.1 IP, 1 K
- Jacob Hannemann: 1 for 2, 2B
- Game Two
- Duncan Robinson: 5 IP, 2 R, 4 H, 2 BB, 5 K
- Allen Webster: 1 IP, 2 K
- Dakota Mekkes: 1 IP, 2 H, 1 BB, 3 K
- Mike Freeman: 2 for 4
- Ryan Court: 1 for 3, 2B, BB
- Taylor Davis: 2 for 3
- Trey Martin: 2 for 3
- Chris Coghlan: 1 for 1, 2B
Double A: Tennessee Smokies
Tennessee had the day off.
- Erick Leal: 4.1 IP, 1 R, 3 H, 3 BB, 4 K
- Ryan Kellogg: 1.2 IP, 2 K
- Jose Paulino: 0.2 IP, 8 R (1 ER), 7 H, 1 BB
- Roberto Caro: 0.1 IP and a line of zeroes
- Jhonny Pereda: 2 for 3, BB
- Jared Young: 2 for 4, 2B
- Aramis Ademan: 2 for 4
- Brendon Little: 5 IP, 2 H, 5 K
- Brendan King: 3 IP, 1 R, 1 H, 5 K
- Jake Steffens: 1 IP, 2 BB
- Jose Gutierrez: 2 for 4, BB
- Delvin Zinn: 2 for 4, BB
- Austin Filiere: 2 for 4, 2B
- Rafael Narea: 2 for 4, 2 2B
- Austin Upshaw: 2 for 4, 2 2B
- Chris Singleton: 2 for 4, 2B
- Paul Richan: 4 IP, 2 R, 5 H, 1 K
- Eugenio Palma: 2 IP and a line of zeroes
- Nelson Velazquez: 1 for 4, 2B, BB
- Luke Reynolds: 1 for 4, 2B
- Jonathan Sierra: 1 for 4, 3B
- Luis Vazquez: 2 for 4
- Yunior Perez: 2 IP, 4 R, 3 H, 3 BB, 1 K
- Dalton Geekie: 2 IP, 1 H, 2 K
- Fauris Guerrero: 2 IP, 1 H, 1 BB, 5 K
- Christopher Morel: 1 for 4, 2B
- Yonathan Perlaza: 3 for 5, 2B
- Orian Nunez: 2 for 4, 2 2B, BB
- First off, some non-Cubs stuff. Credit the Portland (Maine) Seadogs for putting together one of the coolest team entries ever staged in a real ballpark. It would have been cooler if the corn had actually been growing around the outfield, but as is, the players nailed it.
- Something that has always bothered me about Field of Dreams… where are the deer? There are few things deer like more than munching the corn on the edge of a field. With the corn coming right up to the outfield in the movie, that playing field should have been Deer City.
- In attendance at the South Bend game was none other than former President Jimmy Carter and his wife. Most players have to reach the majors to play in front of Presidents (current or former), but the South Bend Cubs get to check that one off the ol’ bucket list early. The former President was in town for an event in connection with Habitat for Humanity.
- Eugene now holds a one game lead over Salem-Keizer with two to play in Salem-Keizer. After that each team has one more series before the season wraps up early next week.