As noted this morning, today is the tender deadline, so stay tuned for activity around the league, and decisions to be made by the Cubs.
- At long last, the Cubs have a new assistant hitting coach:
Sources: The Cubs are planning to add Terrmel Sledge to Joe Maddon’s staff as the assistant hitting coach. Sledge worked in the Cubs’ farm system (2015) and as a Double-A hitting coach for the Dodgers (2016-18). After his big-league career, Sledge played with Yu Darvish in Japan.
— Patrick Mooney (@PJ_Mooney) November 29, 2018
- Sounds like Yu Darvish is about to have a big year at the plate! In all seriousness, I remember Sledge being well-regarded when he was in the Cubs’ system before he was poached by the Dodgers. In 2015, he would have worked together with now-Cubs-hitting-coach Anthony Iapoce, who ran the minor league hitting program at that time.
- The Cubs still need to fill out their staff completely, with a vacant pitching coach spot, and a quality control spot that might wind up going to Chris Denorfia.
- I have jokes to make, but the truth is that there’s a way where this is not a totally crazy take:
Is Joe Maddon dealing with too much talent to manage?@markdero7 joins @LukeStuckmeyer and @thekapman on the #Cubs Talk Podcast to discuss that and more🎧: https://t.co/HaU6Tm6jW2 pic.twitter.com/dKYGuP74XC
— NBC Sports Chicago (@NBCSChicago) November 30, 2018
- If you have a particular mix of players, more starting-caliber players than you have spots – especially when they’re young and developing – I could absolutely see that being an overwhelming burden for a manager, and could see it hampering the overall success of the club (despite all the “versatility” and “match-ups”). I get it, and I think it merits discussion.
- … we haven’t really seen it play out as an issue, though. To my eye, so far in the Maddon era, there really hasn’t been a situation where, for more than half a season, there was a guy that I thought absolutely needed way more playing time and wasn’t able to get it. Indeed, the only time I can recall even starting to think that was with Jorge Soler, but (1) his own health prevented it, and (2) he got it with the Royals and I’m not sure the Cubs really missed out.
- A farewell from Tommy La Stella. May he rake in Anaheim, and may the Player to Be Named Later be Mike Trout:
— BHSC (@BHSCouncil) November 29, 2018
- Mr. Rizzo, I don’t feel so good:
— Club Dub SZN 🐻⬇️ (@Melissybk) November 29, 2018
- Good ready from Sahadev Sharma on the Cubs’ (non)-leadoff problem:
Theo Epstein on the leadoff spot: "We’d love to have that guy … everyone knows going in who is in the one hole, who’s setting the tone … But if you don’t have it, then it’s better to just find a way to be productive in that spot … And we did." https://t.co/YJELICVDe2
— Sahadev Sharma (@sahadevsharma) November 30, 2018
- “Thank you for the job! You’re fired”:
#Orioles have fired farm director Brian Graham, sources tell The Athletic. Graham assumed role in 2013 and oversaw team’s day-to-day decision-making between firing of Dan Duquette and hiring of Mike Elias. O’s in need of farm director, scouting director, manager, coaches, scouts.
— Ken Rosenthal (@Ken_Rosenthal) November 30, 2018
- Disney stuff is among the Deals of the Day today at Amazon, so you parents and Disney-lovers will want to check that out.
- Also, Fanatics is doing a crazy clearance sale today, plus free shipping:
— Bleacher Nation (@BleacherNation) November 30, 2018