The 2019 Chicago Cubs Convention kicks off on Friday, and although there probably won’t be a big splash to announce, there will still be plenty of fun to be had (and maybe some drama when fans get to ask questions of the front office and the Ricketts Family). I will be there throughout the weekend, and if you’re around on Friday night after the Opening Ceremonies, head to Lizzie McNeill’s next door for a beer. I’ll be the guy near the popcorn ranting about the back-up catcher situation.
The Cubs have announced the full attendance list, which is pretty much everyone with the exceptions of Addison Russell (suspended), Jon Lester, Anthony Rizzo (honeymoon, perhaps?), and Tyler Chatwood. The last one there is the most notable, and while he may have a significant prior commitment, it’s also possible he just doesn’t want to be treated crappily by the fans (which he would, and that would really suck at a fan convention).
The Cubs just released some additional passes for the weekend, while announcing some of the new panels/activities this year:
- Cubs Talk: Albert Almora Jr., Steve Cishek, Daniel Descalso and Ian Happ share stories and answer questions from fans.
- Cubs in Cooperstown: The National Baseball Hall of Fame will enshrine another Cub this summer as Lee Smith enters Cooperstown. Joining Lee for this panel discussion will be Hall of Famers Andre Dawson, Fergie Jenkins, Ryne Sandberg and Billy Williams.
- Off the Field: Cubs fans will hear from Cubs stars Carl Edwards Jr., Ian Happ, Jason Heyward and Pedro Strop as they talk about their interests off the field in a discussion geared toward our younger fans. Topics include music, fashion, art and more.
Interactive displays and activities:
- “Through My Eyes”: Ian Happ and artist Patrick Vale discuss their creative collaboration that brings a new perspective of Wrigley Field to fans. The unique artwork will be available for purchase with proceeds benefiting Cubs Charities.
- Cubs Trophy Room: In addition to snapping a selfie with the 2016 World Series Trophy and other Cubs memorabilia, Boeing and USO of Illinois will give fans a behind-the-scenes virtual reality tour of Wrigley Field before and during a Cubs home game.
- ATI Morning Stretch: Kids can get ready for a full day of Cubs activities with a morning stretch clinic led by ATI Physical Therapy on the turf field.
- High Speed Highlighting Catch, presented by Xfinity: Young Cubs fans can experience making a game-saving diving catch at Wrigley Field with this new activation.
- Chicago Artists Live Painting: Three prominent Chicago artists, Amuse126, Miss Merlot and Stuk One, will display their artistic style and ability. Fans will have the opportunity to purchase their artwork with proceeds benefiting Cubs Charities.
For fans unable to attend Cubs Convention, they can stream the following panels on Cubs social media:
- Opening Ceremony, Friday 6-7 p.m.
- Friday Night with Ryan Dempster, presented by Budweiser, Friday 7:30-10 p.m.
- In the Batter’s Box, presented by Wintrust, Saturday 11 a.m.-noon.
- Cubs in Cooperstown, Saturday 3-4 p.m.
Full attendance list: