A bunch of stray, interesting, important stuff to get to from around baseball …
- The crazy blow-up in the Mets’ clubhouse after their loss at Wrigley Field? Turns out it was set off by a reporting telling manager Mickey Callaway, “See you tomorrow, Mickey.” Not a joke:
— steven marcus (@newsdaymarcus) June 24, 2019
- Callaway is not going to be fired today, and it is crazy that the reporters had to actually report that news – again:
There have been about four or five days this season when the folks who cover the Mets report the manager won’t be fired THAT day. There are so many layers to a dynamic like that, and explains why folks within the organization see a desperate need for proper leadership.
— Buster Olney (@Buster_ESPN) June 24, 2019
- Injury news for the Cardinals, as breakout closer Jordan Hicks is headed for an MRI:
— Derrick Goold (@dgoold) June 24, 2019
- For now the team is calling it just triceps tendinitis, and indeed it might be only that kind of inflammation. But anything that attaches to the elbow – as we’ve seen – can surprise you as something worse.
- Speaking of Cardinals pitcher injuries, this guy is just snakebitten:
Here's Alex Reyes, appearing to be injured after throwing a pitch. Had to be removed from the game pic.twitter.com/RydOevxNPA
— Kyle Reis (@kyler416) June 23, 2019
— Derrick Goold (@dgoold) June 24, 2019
- Adam Eaton had some dopey things to say about minor league wages:
extremely gross rhetoric from adam eaton pic.twitter.com/HPeZAlSJCH
— squid (@extremelysquid) June 23, 2019
- Even if Eaton is right, (1) wouldn’t you be better off knowing which guys will still have the hunger regardless of money? and (2) is Eaton saying he isn’t as hungry now that he’s been paid? You are reminded that Eaton is long known to be a holder of terrible positions, so I’m not surprised.
- A fan ran onto the field yesterday to hug Cody Bellinger, and despite it looking all good and funny and whatever, this is bad and people should not do it, because eventually it encourages people are aren’t so nice:
Cody Bellinger refuses to stray from his brand of being permanently happy and confused at the same time. pic.twitter.com/MmGt2QtJkB
— Trevor Vernola (@tvern16) June 24, 2019
Cody Bellinger: "You know you're going to jail."
Fan: "It was worth it." pic.twitter.com/N5eJxGBq9v
— Matthew Moreno (@MMoreno1015) June 23, 2019
- Speaking of the Dodgers, they got a walk-off homer by a rookie for the third straight game. Because they needed more. Also, if anyone ever questions again whether the ball is juiced, show them this:
WEST SIDE WALK IT OUT. pic.twitter.com/DqNiS8QoZS
— Los Angeles Dodgers (@Dodgers) June 23, 2019
- It gives me great pain to admit that this is an incredible play:
"KOLTEN WONG, RAZZLE DAZZLE!" pic.twitter.com/JzUUWYr0UW
— ESPN (@espn) June 24, 2019
- Are we back to an era of “just get to the bullpen”? Maybe so:
This Verducci story on this year's bad relief pitching gets at something I've been thinking about for the last few seasons… when there are *this* many guys expected to be major-league-caliber relievers, the performance is probably going to shift! https://t.co/4MeA8d7Jlv pic.twitter.com/mdf7yBxeGA
— Emma Baccellieri (@emmabaccellieri) June 24, 2019
- Manny Machado and the way things ended with the Orioles:
“Do you ever wish …” you begin.
“That it ended better?” Machado interjects. “One-hundred percent.”
The superstar opens up on being traded, his “no love comment” and returning to the city where he started:https://t.co/eVqP9fKvcP
— Brittany Ghiroli (@Britt_Ghiroli) June 24, 2019
- The $8 million the Nationals gave to Trevor Rosenthal as one of the first signings of the offseason did not work out so well, as he has been released:
Trevor Rosenthal’s final stats after getting cut by the Nationals. 6 1/3 innings in 12 appearances, walking 15 of the 43 batters faced, 3 HBP, eight hits and 16 runs, five wild pitches. He began his season by failing to record an out in any of his first four appearances.
— FGCU Dirtiest Bird (@Dirtiest_Birds) June 23, 2019