I thought that offseason would never end. Major League Baseball is finally back. And while the game between the lines is what matters most, I always find myself digging through the promotional schedule looking to score tickets for the games with the best giveaways.
Every team has its own unique extras for fans, so let’s explore them:
- Arizona’s current jerseys aren’t nearly as possible as any number of their throwbacks. On March 31, the team will give out 20,000 replica throwback jerseys celebrating the team’s 20th anniversary.
- The Braves have one of baseball’s most well-rounded promotional schedules that includes 14 Friday Night Fireworks events, seven bobblehead giveaways, Hank Aaron Weekend, and a Chipper Jones Hall of Fame plaque.
- Each of the Orioles’ seven Friday home games is Student Night, where students of any age with a valid ID can get discounted tickets in the Left Field Upper Reserve section for $10. I can’t think of a better way to spend a Friday.
Boston Red Sox
- On May 14 against the Athletics, the Red Sox are giving away a Craig Kimbrel Beard Plant. I’m imagining a Chia Pet, but it’s the face and noticeable beard of one of baseball’s most intimidating closers.
Chicago White Sox
- May the Force be with you … YESSS!
- With a little bit of help from Mother Nature, the Cubs won the 2016 World Series by gutting out an emotional Game 7. In Cleveland’s first trip to Wrigley Field since, the Cubs are giving away 10,000 Cubs cap-shaped umbrellas. Fitting.
- The Reds are handing out 20,000 Rosie Red bobbleheads on June 30 as part of their Super Saturdays promotions.
- On August 8 against the Twins, there will be 12,500 lucky fans who take home a Trevor Bauer Jersey in the style of the Players Weekend outfits that were worn last summer.
- The Rockies are celebrating their 25th anniversary with a handful of giveaways highlighted by a beach towel (June 2) and throwback replica jersey (June 23).
- The Tigers will hand out four different bobbleheads commemorating stars from the team’s World Series-winning 1968 season. Al Kalne (May 26), Bill Freehan (June 2), Willie Horton (July 7), and Mickey Lolich (August 25) bobble heads will be given out to the first 10,000 fans. Good luck collecting them all!
- The Astros won the World Series in 2017 and will give out a replica trophy to 10,000 fans on April 6 and a replica championship ring on April 7.
Kansas City Royals
- On May 19 against the Yankees, the Royals will hand out 20,000 “George Brett Pine Tar” bobbleheads depicting one of the wildest moments in baseball history.
Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim
- Albert Pujols is rounding out his career in Anaheim by crossing off one milestone after another. An April 6 giveaway of a Pujols countdown to 3,000 hits action figure will help.
Los Angeles Dodgers
- Wake up with the Dodgers on April 24 with an “ITFDB” Alarm Clock, featuring Vin Scully’s signature phrase. Good morning, indeed.
- The Marlins are celebrating diversity with the following heritage theme nights: Puerto Rican (April 28), Cuban (May 11), Venezuelan (June 30), Nicaraguan (July 14), Dominican (August 11), and Mexican (September 23).
- The name of the bobblehead says it all: Travis Shaw “Mayor of Ding Dong City” bobblehead will be given away to all fans on May 27.
- The Twins have done wonders to honor the legend of Prince, one of the greatest musicians of all time. The first 10,000 fans who purchase a specific theme night ticket package will receive an inflatable Prince guitar on June 8 against the Angels.
New York Yankees
- On the heels of the recent release of Star Wars Episode VIII, the Yankees will have an Aaron Judge Jedi Bobblehead that is definitely Force sensitive. I mean, have you seen his dingers? A close runner-up might be a 1998 World Series Championship replica fan ring that will be handed out on August 19 against the Blue Jays.
Of special note, our 3rd annual “Star Wars Night will take place on Fri May 4. The first 40k fans will receive a “Jedi Judge” bobblehead. For a complete list of 2018 promo items, visit https://t.co/YIDuwF9PlO. pic.twitter.com/vLf5ufMJGd
— New York Yankees (@Yankees) February 15, 2018
New York Mets
- New York’s other team has 11 free-shirt giveaways for all fans, including a Jacob DeGrom t-shirt on April 13 in the style of the classic Run DMC logo.
- The Athletics are celebrating their 50th anniversary in Oakland in a big way by charging no admission to the team’s April 17 game against the White Sox.
- On June 10, men ages 15 and older will receive a John Kruk 1990s pullover as part of the celebration of the team’s 25th anniversary of winning the 1993 NL Pennant. You remember the Krukster, right?
- The Pirates have a handful of free shirt giveaways on Friday, but September 7 is a Roberto Clemente t-shirt that also comes on dollar hot dog night.
San Diego Padres
- The 1998 season was an all-timer for the Padres, who won the NL pennant for the first time since 1984. San Diego is celebrating with four commemorative bobbleheads: Tony Gwynn (May 10), Ken Caminiti (May 11), Trevor Hoffman (May 12), and Greg Vaughn (May 13).
San Francisco Giants
- The Giants have six giveaways celebrating the team’s 60th year in San Francisco. Among the best is a “Mt. Crushmore Commemorative Statue” that will be handed out on June 24 against the Padres.
- Ben Gamel Cap Night on April 13 against the Athletics comes complete with Gamel’s signature flow attached to the cap.
St. Louis Cardinals
- One of the more unique bobblehead giveaways will come on April 7 and feature Hall of Famers Lou Brock, Bob Gibson, and Red Schoendiest riding in cars as is the tradition in St. Louis’ Opening Day procession. But get this, the boxes are unmarked and fans won’t know which players they have until the boxes are opened.
Tampa Bay Rays
- The Rays come out with their coolest giveaway out of the gate with a cowbell on Opening Day, which celebrates their 20th anniversary. Another neat promotional item comes on June 9 against the Mariners when the team will give out Fred McGriff and Tino Martinez bobbleheads. McGriff was on the first Rays team and played five years with the team and made the All-Star team in 2000, while Martinez played just one season with the team in 2004, a season in which he hit 23 homers with 76 RBI.
- Not to be out-done by the White Sox’s “Hawk” Solo, the Rangers are giving out a Han Gallo Bobblehead on May 26, depicting slugger Joey Gallo as the intergalactic hero.
Toronto Blue Jays
- It’s hard to find a cooler bobblehead than the Marcus Stroman shimmying bobblehead that will be handed out on June 6, but the team’s Dunedin affiliate will feature a Vladimir Guerrero Sr. and Jr. bobblehead.
- The only thing better than one Cy Young is a bobblehead celebrating Max Scherzer’s two NL Cy Young awards since joining the Nationals. Want one? They’ll go out to the first 25,000 fans who attend May 4 against the Phillies.