In order for Mitch Trubisky to reach his full potential as a franchise quarterback, the Chicago Bears desperately needed to fix their wide receiver problems. Almost four months after the end of the 2017 season, the Bears have done just that – with the latest addition being another University of Georgia product.
THE PICK (ROUND 7, PICK 224)
- Name: Javon Wims
- College: Georgia
- Position: Wide receiver
- Age: 23
- Height, weight, hand size, arms: 6-foot-3, 215 pounds, 9-1/4 inches, 31-1/2 inches
NEED TO KNOW
- 2017 stats: 14 games, 45 catches, 720 yards, 7 touchdowns.
- Last three years (includes JUCO) stats: 109 catches, 1,689 yards, 17 touchdowns
NFL COMBINE RESULTS
- 40-yard dash: 4.53
- Vertical: 33.5 inches
- Broad jump: 113 inches
- 3-cone drill: 7.0 seconds
- Has the desired size and ball skills one looks for in a pass-catching prospect.
- Was a one-man highlight reel at Georgia making spectacular catches, particularly in his senior year when he was hauling in passes from freshman Jake Fromm.
- High-energy prospect with good instincts who is seemingly always in pursuit of the ball until the whistle blows.
- Late bloomer who still needs time to develop. Didn’t come into his own as a football player until joining Hinds Community College in 2015. Had a breakout year as a JUCO player, ranking as a top-5 prospect at the position before signing with Georgia.
- Currently has a limited route tree and is considered to be a one-trick pony at this stage of his development. Granted, that one trick is pretty darn good.
- Doesn’t have the kind of game-breaking speed that creates separation from defenders.
WHERE WIMS FITS
Not only did the Bears need to overhaul their wide receivers corps, but they needed to do so in a way in which they brought in different types of pass catchers. Wims represents the go-up-and-get-it guy who can grow into a red zone threat and make more than his fair share of catches on deep passes and 50-50 balls. The Bears doubled down on the position and added some versatility to their group of pass catchers by drafting Wims after drafting Miller in the second round.