On one hand, I can’t believe it’s almost July. June came and went so quickly, I felt like I missed a week when I blinked. On the other hand, bring on training camp!
- I cannot believe the feedback we received for one tweet:
SOCIAL EXPERIMENT: Please reply to this tweet with your favorite Bears player. I'm trying to check something.
— Bleacher Nation Bears (@BN_Bears) June 25, 2019
- The fun thing about an exercise like this is that the Bears’ history is so rich and they have had so many players put on that uniform, your answers could have gone in any given direction. They did, and it was awesome.
- Here are some of my favorite names who probably slipped under your radar: R.W. McQuarters, Wilbur Marshall, Brendon Ayanbadejo, Hunter Hillenmyer, Tank Johnson, Muhsin Muhammad, Neal Anderson, Brock Forsey, Keith Traylor, Kyle Orton, Adawale Ogunleye, Paul Edinger, Mike Brown, Gary Fencik, Bobby Wade, Thomas Jones … I could go on. You guys and gals were relentless in the replies and I loved it.
- Also, take note that I didn’t say best or who had the greatest numbers. I wanted to know your favorite. Sure, there were the obvious ones. Payton, Sayers, Butkus, Urlacher, Mack, Mitchell, Tarik, BoJack, etc. … but I was really digging the deep cuts. Some of the under-the-radar names took me back.
- I was happy to see a few Roquan Smith mentions in the mix. If he can build off a successful rookie season, I bet we’ll see more mentions of him if we were to do that tweet again. Heck, he could be your favorite Bear at this time next year. NFL.com’s Marc Sessler tried his hand at predicting the first-time Pro Bowl representative for each of the NFC’s 16 teams, landing on Smith being that guy for the Bears. Smith led the team in tackles last season, which was impressive stuff considering the rookie missed all of training camp and didn’t step foot onto the field until the middle portion of the team’s Week 1 game against the Packers. Just imagine what he could do with a full spring and summer of offseason training.
- Akiem Hicks is probably your favorite player’s favorite player:
— NFL (@NFL) June 25, 2019
- I might need to dig into that NFL Game Pass free trial later in the afternoon.
- The Bears’ “Meet The Rookies” series debuts its latest season this evening with Riley Ridley. Here is a sneak peak:
.@RidleyCa's not a 50/50 guy.
— Chicago Bears (@ChicagoBears) June 25, 2019
- Do you have a favorite rookie yet? Or are you waiting until training camp to jump on someone’s bandwagon?
- Here’s hoping sometime in the future I’ll be able to ask about your favorite Bears team. Better yet, here’s hoping your response to that question in the near future will be the 2019 team because it won a Super Bowl. If the Bears can hoist the Lombardi Trophy after the end of Super Bowl LIV, we might look back at the offseason as the one that springboard things into action. Andy Benoit (SI.com’s The MMQB) gives an offseason report on the NFC North, and the Bears have (mostly) positive vibes. I can dig it.
- Why wouldn’t the Bears be riding the good waves? Long-time NFL player personnel guru/talent valuator Gil Brandt likes what the Bears have going on right now. So much so, he placed the Bears among the top-3 on his list of the league’s most talented teams. BOING!
- This is one way to remind me there are 72 days until the NFL season kicks off:
— NFL (@NFL) June 25, 2019
- While there will be an obvious focus on what happens at kicker, the development of the youngest members of the supporting cast on defense will be worth watching:
From a developmental standpoint, I'm really looking to see how guys like Bilal Nichols, Kevin Toliver and Duke Shelley progress.
Floyd is more than fine where he currently is but those 3 above will be key in 2020 & beyond. Especially with a tighter cap. #Bears
— Aaron Leming (@AaronLemingNFL) June 24, 2019
- There is one Bear too many on this list:
random NFL draft stat:
There have been 9 first-round picks from 1998 to 2017 who have played fewer than 16 NFL career games
— Eric Edholm (@Eric_Edholm) June 25, 2019
- Trubisky > Rodgers:
NFL QB Pool Dunk Rankings:
— Adam Lefkoe (@AdamLefkoe) June 24, 2019
- Every training camp opening date for each of the NFL’s 32 teams? Yeah, you’ll want to put this in your back pocket.
- Printers and TVs are among the ridiculous deals today at Amazon.
- We can apply this to football, too:
— Bleacher Nation (@BleacherNation) June 25, 2019
- But why, though?
— Bleacher Nation Bulls (@BN_Bulls) June 24, 2019