Name a better breakfast duo than black coffee and baklava. Don’t worry, I’ll wait.
- Jaguars cornerback Jalen Ramsey has set a high bar to clear for training camp arrivals:
Jalen Ramsey’s entrance to training camp was…. Well it was..
— Ben Murphy (@BenMurphyTV) July 24, 2019
- Ramsey showed up to Jaguars camp in an armored truck because he is looking for a raise. Of all the ways to make it known that you’d like a pay bump, this by far the most unique. Ramsey is entering the final year of his rookie contract which will pay him $13.7 million, but it’s obvious the talented cornerback would like to avoid getting slapped with the Franchise tag in 2021 after playing on the fifth-year option in 2020.
- As for the Bears, I’m going to need someone to top that … but I’m not sure if that’s even possible, plausible, or even legal. How does someone top that? Tarik Cohen coming through in an Army tank? Akiem Hicks rolling in on a unicycle? The entire offensive line showing up coming out of a clown car? There are options here, people. Don’t disappoint me!
- Pro Bowl left tackle Charles Leno Jr. is ready to roll:
Always finish what you start. Safe to say, we just started; we’re not finished. Year six, let’s get it!
— Charles Leno Jr (@charleslenojr72) July 25, 2019
- Today, veterans show up. Tomorrow, they practice. On Saturday, they’ll practice in front of the adoring public. And on Sunday, they’ll put on the pads for the first time in 2019. Football is back, baby. Feel it!
- Sweetness was greatness:
“If you ask me how I want to be remembered, it is as a winner."
HBD, Sweetness. 🐐 pic.twitter.com/Ee8sWyzGzr
— Chicago Bears (@ChicagoBears) July 25, 2019
Walter Payton would have turned 65 today. Happy Birthday to Sweetness, a leader on and off the field. pic.twitter.com/B1m4Goi0Z7
— Sports Illustrated (@SInow) July 25, 2019
- Maybe it’s just a coincidence, but it’s noteworthy to me that Bears veterans showed up for training camp on what would have been Walter Payton’s 65th birthday. After all, It’s been 34 years since Chicago last won a Super Bowl. And if they win it all this year, they will get to hoist the Lombari Trophy after the 54th Super Bowl game. Considering what the numbers 34 and 54 mean to this franchise, it’s not going to be lost on me if the Bears win the whole freakin’ thing this year.
- The Bears’ kicking competition is on the short-list of things The Ringer’s Danny Heifetz is keeping an eye on this summer. Heifetz calls it “the best camp battle of the year by far” and I don’t have any argument against it. Heritage franchise celebrating its centennial celebration at the start of its competitive window is so well-rounded, it’s lone need is kicker. You couldn’t script that if you tried! The battle starts in Bourbonnais, but because no one has stood out to this point, GM Ryan Pace keeping an eye on other kicking situations. This is only the beginning.
- Of course the kicking conundrum is one of the three burning questions from ESPN’s Jeff Dickerson as the Bears head to camp.
- Somehow, the most talked about camp battle lands on Brent Sobleski (Bleacher Report) list of “under-the-radar” competitions.
- For more on Chicago’s kickers, Chris Emma (670 The Score) dissects a situation that has been lingering since January.
- Wait, there are OTHER position battles to be won at training camp? John “Moon” Mullin (NBC Sports Chicago) offers up some alternatives to the obvious.
It’s a good day for Bears DL Akiem Hicks, as he earns a $500,000 reporting bonus for showing up to the start of training camp today.
— Field Yates (@FieldYates) July 25, 2019
- For your listening pleasure:
— NBC Sports Chicago (@NBCSChicago) July 24, 2019
- How many Bears are going to make the list?
100 players. 10 coaches.
The #NFL100 All-Time Team is coming to NFL Network this fall.
— NFL Network (@nflnetwork) July 24, 2019
- Well, duh:
— Bleacher Nation Bulls (@BN_Bulls) July 24, 2019
- That sound you heard was a sigh of relief from Cubs fans ahead of their big series against That Baseball Team in Wisconsin:
— Bleacher Nation (@BleacherNation) July 24, 2019
- Big sale at Obvious Shirts ends tonight: